Halcyon Scout Backup Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would the Halcyon Scout light be a good all around light to take with on general recreational day dives in MN lakes? I don't have a light yet but would like to have one just to take along on dives. It's kinda spendy. It looks like EE sells them for $86.

it is a good general light albeit a bit more $$$ than other
"good general" lights.

That is the light that I carry on pretty much every dive. If you have a bp/wings it is totally un noticeable on the shoulder strap. There when you need it.

It is not as bright as other similar and cheaper lights, which from what I understand is because others tend to "push" the brightness by stressing the bulb. (please point me out if wrong).

After diving with it I have no regrets. It uses the very available bulbs from the UK SL4.

Tommy

I use two Scout's as backup. As previously mentioned, the big plus is that they stow very streamlined on shoulder straps.

They would probably work OK in a pinch as a primary light. I would be more inclined to keep them positioned as backups and use my cannister or similar ( UK's light cannon) as primary.

Just my $.02.

DSAO,

Larry

Ditto on the backup usage - on daylight dives in shallower water, their application is limited, as they don't push the bulb (they use 3 C cells rather than the SL4's 4 cells). Still usable closeup for checking stuff out though, and if you are using a harness, they are perfect.

There are replicas of equal quality available on eBay for $65 - I have two and cannot fault them. The only major difference to the Scout are minor finishing details, and the replicas have two o-rings, not one, so they might be a bit more forgiving floodwise if you hand them off to someone and they twist the head the wrong way (like my buddy did on the last dive). That's just a perception though.

Canadian Extreme
And don't forget they make you look like a real tech diver! =-)

Originally posted by bengiddins
Ditto on the backup usage - on daylight dives in shallower water, their application is limited, as they don't push the bulb (they use 3 C cells rather than the SL4's 4 cells). Still usable closeup for checking stuff out though, and if you are using a harness, they are perfect.

There are replicas of equal quality available on eBay for $65 - I have two and cannot fault them. The only major difference to the Scout are minor finishing details, and the replicas have two o-rings, not one, so they might be a bit more forgiving floodwise if you hand them off to someone and they twist the head the wrong way (like my buddy did on the last dive). That's just a perception though.

Canadian Extreme
And don't forget they make you look like a real tech diver! =-)
Cool...maybe I'll go with one of those then. I don't see a need for me to lug a big ol' honkin' primary light with me since I don't intend to do any night, deep, or real low viz diving this season anyway. Then later on if I do get into that sort of diving I'll just get a good primary. I'm sure I could get something even cheaper that would be sufficient for my needs but I don't want to waste my money on some cheezy piece of junk either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom