halcyon rb80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Halcyon scrubber has never been duration tested by a third party.

Only 3 rebreathers have had official third party tests (Inspiration, Dolphin and Azimuth), all were rated at 3-4 hours as part of the CE certification (European tests) at 6C water and 6l per min CO2 production rate. The Halcyon RB has only a very slightly larger scrubber and would probably be rated to 4-5 hours under the same test

All rebreathers have a very poorly defined scrubber life, it is up to the packing, the water temp, condensation, the wearer and too many other variables to judge accurately. you must err on the side of caution as when breakthrough accurs it is sudden and nearly total.

Remember the person who claims 11 hour durations is also the same persom who claims not to breath, never need decompressing etc while diving and has a vested interest in the RB80's sales

The RB80 has a major safety fault in that it has no PPO2 monitor out of the box. Do fit an O2 monitor if you get one. First rule of all rebreathers is "always know your PPO2". There are several failure mods of the RB80 that will kill you without a PPO2 monitor (Wrong fill gas for a starter)

madmole once bubbled...
Remember the person who claims 11 hour durations is also the same persom who claims not to breath, never need decompressing etc while diving and has a vested interest in the RB80's sales
Ya know, if you anti-DIR types wouldn't lie so much we might be able to take you at least semi-seriously.

Roak

No lie, just a slight exageration, his exact words were

"Nobody understands this like I do, and nobody can execute it like I do" http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Decompression/deco_curve.htm

"I am the fastest decompresser there is" http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Decompression/min_deco.htm

"In MOST people, the greatest bubbling occurs out of the water and continues for up to four hours, not even peaking for a couple of hours. In a well vascularized, fit person like me, it is over with in 30 minutes. Don't bet on that with most of you. " http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Decompression/why_we_do_not_bounce_dive_after_diving.htm

etc, etc, etc,, Why doesn't he wear his red swim trunks on the outside of a blue dry siut???Read the WKPP pages if you dont believe

By the way, I use a DIR config on my open circuit so I'm not exactly anti DIR, just anti having it rammed down my throat by someone on an ego trip

and yes, the Inspiration is very much still in production and is the best selling rebreather there is, probably more of them than all the other CCR's put together, only the draeger is comparable. There is currently a 20 week waiting list for it

So you admit that he breathes and decompresses and yet you defend that it was NOT a lie to say he doesn't breathe and doesn't decompress?

Ok, there's another lie.

As for him making money on the RB80 he doesn't but since you can't prove a negative (logic 101) it's up to you to prove he does.

I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath because I breathe, too.

Roak

Try looking up the word "Sarcasm" in a dictionary, then go an reread my post

Bloody Americans, do we have to put smiley's on everything we say :rolleyes:

How do you rig for a dive that long? thats one hell of a lot of gas to be carrying SCR (or do you stage?)

And how do you cover bailout? spare RB or a ton of OC dumps

Intrigued how you do it as I'm seriously looking at the Twinspiration route for deep dives to avoid the Stage carry and thats on a CCR with a much lower gas use (heck I'd need 4 litres of O2 for 13 hours :wink: , and 4 scrubbers!!!!!!:upset: )

Personally I need 3 hour run times with max depth of 130m, and of course scrubber durations are killed at depth

We drive with AL80. We set up the dives with OC safeties set about 2000 ft apart for bailout. The double AL 80's on our back which we would only use for bailout (and inflation) would get us more than 2000 ft even for OOA. We have done this for up to 15,500 ft penetrations (at shallow depth) and has worked very well. For deco we can plug any gas into the RB, but deco gas volume for these dives isn't really an issue. If it was, then we would probably go for a redundant RB for really long deco.
Best,
SLJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom