Halcyon proteus 3 10w hid bulb ballast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My ballast is dead on my Halcyon Proteus 3 10 w HID light. I want to stay with 10 w or LED.. Does anyone know of a source for parts that are a direct fit (besides Halcyon) Does anyone out there sell a reasonably priced LED conversion kit? Thanks for the help.

There's no such thing as an "LED" conversion, at least not one worth it's money. The optics needed are completely different for an HID versus an LED to achieve a proper focus - regardless of whether it's land or water based.

Your best bet is to re-use the canister with a completely new head - either purchase one or build one. Used heads come available all the time, as the 10W HID is an obsolete part these days. LEDs have eclipsed them long ago and are now encroaching on the 21W category of HIDs as well. You should be able to pick up a used light head for a song, if you're patient, and replace the dead one on your canister.

Sartek (Sartek Industries Products) sells an LED replacement head if you're willing to trade in your dead one for $295 (special going on.) There are other manufacturers, as well, that will sell you just the head.

Or, in the spirit of DIY, depending on the head style and configuration, something from Deal Extreme (Tools: Diy Tools, Parts Accessories, Diy Tool, Diy Manual - Free Shipping - DealExtreme) might fit in there and work reasonably well with minimal amounts of rework - or just cram it into a maglite head like most folks :)

I assume this is a test tube type? If so, yes, there is not really a good way to convert to LED. I tried to do a test tube dive rite and it was a decent light but too much light was wasted on the flood. It has a nice spot but not much light is focused there.

If it is not a test tube, there are options.

Back
Top Bottom