Halcyon Pioneer 36 lb wing

What's your experience with your Pioneer 36lb wing? (multiple selections allowed)

• Pioneer 36lb: never had any problems with one

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • Pioneer 36lb: have had leak/leaks

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Pioneer 36lb: pin hole leak: Halcyon covered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pioneer 36lb: pin hole leak: Not covered

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Pioneer 36lb: pin hole leak: No resolution yet

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Pioneer 36lb: seam leak: Halycon covered

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Pioneer 36lb: seam leak: Not covered

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Pioneer 36lb: seam leak: No resolution yet

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wing came to me punctured. The LDS blamed it on halcyon and halcyon blamed it on the carrier and LDS even though there was zero damage to the box. After a lot of arguing back and forth i contacted halcyon personally at which time it was promptly replaced. It was very frustrating but did get resolved.

Not to long ago my BP/wing with no tank attached slipped off my workbench puncturing the wing in two places from the impact. This is absolutely no fault of halcyon as it was just my dumb luck. I have patched it and has been working great since.Eventually when i do buy a new wing it will be an Oxycheck as i think it will be much more durable.

(For some reason my computer won't allow me to vote in the poll)
I had a 36# wing with under 20 dives. I had a hole along the edge of where the plate contacts the wing ( Halcyon plate-you would think they would be smooth edged from the factory) . Halcyon wouldn't do anything for me. Now I dive OMS wings and wouldn't put my dog in a Halcyon...........

Matt

I have a 36# that has about 100 dives on it. After about 20 dives I noticed that the slots on the Halcyon BP were rough and decided to take it apart and smooth them off.

I picked up the BP and wing and slide it over my left shoulder, I then picked up a screw driver with the left hand and with out even noticing it put 4 holes in the wing as I dropped my arm down to my side.
I covered them with aqua seal and they have been fine but obviously this wing could be made of a heavier fabric. It is apprently 400 denier nylon with a plastic coating on the inside.

I like diving with it, just get a little nervous in some wrecks.

Only two dives on mine. One to only about 8' with atank with <400 psi to checkc weight, the other a short dive with a 63CF to do a quick check out.

but the posts here seme to indicate maybe an issue with the plate and the finish.

I'm using a GUTS 1/4" (9#) with an 8# keel poured into it. the finis on it was great. Not a high polish like the Halcyon, but well deburred. That's what counts. Who cares what the polish looks like!

Guess I'll be taking a good look at that Hacyon plate before I take it on a warm water vacation!

ABQdiver...you been to Rock lake yet?

jamiei once bubbled...
anybody have any thoughts on the poll thus far? Look like 8 out of 26 have had trouble and 3 of those weren't covered by Halcyon and a few that have no resolution yet. I'm not a math wiz, but that works out to about 30% of these wings having leaks.

That's 30% of those who have responded to this particular poll on this board - NOT of all wings sold to date.

People who don't have problems typically do not respond to polls of this nature. Also, the members of this board are a tiny fraction of the Halcyon customer base.

I have 2 of the 36# wings, an older version that requires an STA
and one of the newer ones that does not. The first probably has
200 dives on it and the newer one about 50. No problems with
either one.

I also have 2 of the 55# wings, again one of the older shorter and
smaller volume ones and one of the newer current production.
The first has over 200 dives and the second around 100. Again
no problems with either one.

I use either a Halycon SS plate or Al plate depending on the
buoyancy and weighting considerations.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom