Halcyon manifold with no burst disks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottcinFl

Reaction score
It is my first posting and I am interested in getting some feed back on a purchase I have made. I purchased a Halcyon manifold directly from the manufacturer and was given the wrong order to my benefit. The order I recieved has no burst disks. First, let me say I understand the purpose of burst disks. I also know that low pressure tanks are rated to higher Psi in Europe than in Usa. The purpose of this posting is to better understand why Halcyon would create a manifold without burst disks. I have a few ideas but am not 100% sure.
I do know the manifolds were going to be sent to the Aquanauts. What Are the true advantages to their making?

Yours Truely,
Scott C in Fl

:doctor:

scottcinFl once bubbled...
It is my first posting and I am interested in getting some feed back on a purchase I have made. I purchased a Halcyon manifold directly from the manufacturer and was given the wrong order to my benefit. The order I recieved has no burst disks. First, let me say I understand the purpose of burst disks. I also know that low pressure tanks are rated to higher Psi in Europe than in Usa. The purpose of this posting is to better understand why Halcyon would create a manifold without burst disks. I have a few ideas but am not 100% sure.
I do know the manifolds were going to be sent to the Aquanauts. What Are the true advantages to their making?

Yours Truely,
Scott C in Fl

Scott: sounds as though you have the model that is designed for -- and supposedly only sold to --- the European market... those crazy buggers over there with their strange customs :wink:

You obviously have a couple of choices... I know what I'd do, but you didn't ask that!

You might wanna contact someone at Halcyon and tell them what happened dude. They might like to know the overseas stuff is being shipped to FL.

Doppler

DANGER!

The European manifold with no burst discs uses M25 metric threads - DO NOT use this manifold in 3/4-14 NPSM threaded tanks! :boom:

Get on the phone to Halcyon directly and let them know of the mixup. This is the sort of stuff that triggers recalls.

A word of warning.

Just make sure that the threading on the manifold is the same as the treading on your tanks used on the here in the US. I think the european manifolds might have another thread size. If the threads are not made to match exactly the manifold could potentially come loose. I have seen the effects of this happening one time in Sweden at the dive store I used to work in, and it is not something you want to witness on site. The manifold made a nice hole in the concrete ceiling and it missed the guys head with a couple of inches, and this was at about 60 bar of fill pressure...

Otherwise having valves without burst disks makes more sense to me, since you anyway have an overpressure protection in the compressor. This at least in Sweden.

Sincerely

Anders

Thankyou for the advise. I am draining my doubles as i write. I currently have the manifold on Al 80's. I would like to put them on some low pressure steels. I worked in Key Largo at a dive shop which I will not mention, but know the effects of high pressure and tanks. No worries and safe dives ahead.

Thanks,

Scott In Fl

:wink:

globaldiver once bubbled...
Otherwise having valves without burst disks makes more sense to me, since you anyway have an overpressure protection in the compressor. This at least in Sweden.
Unless the tanks are stored full and there is a house fire.... there's no burst disc to relieve the pressure of the heated tank. FredT has posted on this in the past I believe.

Is it discs or disks in the US? I still get my spellings mixed up after being here 2 years.

Unless the tanks are stored full and there is a house fire.... there's no burst disc to relieve the pressure of the heated tank. FredT has posted on this in the past I believe.

That is true, but it has never been considered a reason to must have burst discs/disks (both work I think) on the scuba tanks in Europe. I think it is a good point though.

Sincerely

Anders

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Unless the tanks are stored full and there is a house fire.... there's no burst disc to relieve the pressure of the heated tank.
On another forum someone made the interesting claim that a full aluminum tank with burst discs was safer than a half full tank. The speculation behind the claim was that a full tank would pop the burst discs when heated, but that a half full tank might heat to the point of cylinder failure before the pressure was high enough to burst the discs.

Nobody was willing to perform the experiment.

scottcinFl once bubbled...

Yours Truely,
Scott C in Fl

Be careful!

In europe m25x2 threads are the standard, the look like the US 3/4 threas but are SLIGHTLY smaller, it will screw into a 3/4 neck but since its smaller its very likely to shear through the threads and cause a big problem..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom