Halcyon Infinity Size for 5'3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypern

New
Reaction score
I am 5'3 male diver and my LDS is convincing me that a standard size backplate will suit me fine. Will I be able to use the standard backplate or should I insist upon getting the small size backplate?

I'm not Halcyon, however I have some experience with the "standard" and smaller sized backplates, because I am 5'5" (but very short-waisted).

To me, it's all about your torso length. If you have a long torso/shorter legs, then maybe a standard plate would fit you; if you have an "average" torso length for your height, or a shorter torso and longer legs, then I would imagine the Small backplate would fit you better.

My first exposure to a backplate was when I rented a Halcyon Eclipse for two weeks. They only had the "Standard" sized backplate, and it was definitely too long on me (short torso). When I had the waist band around my waist, the top of the plate was too high. That caused the top of the plate to be able to shift around because of how the plate came up too high and so the shoulder straps didn't lead very well. I did dive it for two weeks, but I would not have bought it.

I was able to try on the "Small" plate and it did fit me much better (although they didn't have a Small for rent or purchase at that time). As a male you may have a bit more flexibility vis-a-vis dropping the waistband to get the top of the plate down.

I actually ended up getting a 13" plate (Halcyon's small is 14"), and it fits me perfectly even though I'm 2" taller than you, simply due to my torso length. I could see other people my height potentially fitting into the "Standard" (15.5") plate, if they had proportionally very long torsos.

All that to say that if I had to guess, I would say the Small Halcyon plate would fit you better, but that it's torso-length dependent. (Also the small plate is slightly narrower, but that may not be as important.)

I have to wonder though: Is the LDS convincing you the "Standard" backplate fits you because they don't have a Small in stock? Or have you tried both on and you are still not sure? If it's the former then I, personally, would want to try on the Small before investing in the BC. If it's the latter then have a look at this page for a visual sizing guideline:

BAUE How To Size a Backplate

Blue Sparkle

PS: One note that may affect you as well: The Halcyon Small plates (at least the ones I have seen) do not have cam-band slots, so they necessitate the use of an STA with single tanks. (Not that there is anything wrong with that; it's just a difference from their "Standard" plate.)

Last edited:
One of the things I like a lot about the small Halcyon plate may not work very well for you, and that is that the slots for the shoulder straps are set closer together. This works very well for small women, who are generally narrower across the shoulders, but may not be as comfortable for a man.

I am sure you CAN use the standard plate, because I'm 5'4" and small framed, and I do (not Halcyon, but others).

My gf is 5'2" and has the standard SS plate with her Infinity. It works well for her. At the time I pre-ordered hers (the H:pink), I was told they only had the standard size as an option. Evidently now that may not be the case, but I am not sure.

All that said, I am 6' and I have the standard Halcyon SS plate w/cinch harness as well. Both of us are very happy with the setup.

I would encourage you to try and find a short plate if at all possible to try out, short torso'd women (height isn't always an indicator of torso length) and males who are small in stature are exactly who the short plate was designed for. Where are you located?

Wanna rent one and try it out first ? I have both in rental. I think your LDS is correct however. My wife dives in a standard plate no problem and I have put most everyone that buys one in a standard plate. If I meet someone who is really really short or tiny I may put them in a short plate. If you tighten up the harness properly and you can feel that plate sticking into the lower back / top of your butt then it may be too long.

I am 5'5" and short-waisted and have the stainless steel Halcyon BP in small but the aluminum BP in a regular length. To be honest it doesn't make that big of a difference to me although I do know which one I am wearing. I agree with the suggestions to try if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom