Halcyon Helios Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
Anyone know any details about this light? It's supposed to be a small NiMH 18w HID. There's nothing on the Halcyon website yet.

I saw them at the Boston Sea Rover show last month. They are the NiMh battery packs. They are going to have 3 different packs. I think they said a 7,9, and 11 Amp Battery pack. They are made from a solid rod of Delrin (they love Delrin :))) You can go to the GUE web site and click on the RB-80 story. It is the one where JJ went to Japan. That small canister on the waist belt is a Helios pack.

Price - Not sure, but $$

Eric

I've ordered my 18Watt Helios, and it should be in this week. My LDS has already sold a couple and man, they're tiny!

They come in 10Watt and 18Watt HID, each with 250min of burn time on the appropriate battery. The ballast, battery, and head together MSRP ~$1400 for the 18Watt. The pics in the RB80 story at Halcyon's site show the larger of the Helios ballasts... there's a smaller one than that :)

Originally posted by jetblast00
I've ordered my 18Watt Helios, and it should be in this week. My LDS has already sold a couple and man, they're tiny!

Wow, I wish I had that kinda money for a light. You aren't interested in becoming a cave diving sugar daddy buddy are you?:tease:

Originally posted by Wendy

You aren't interested in becoming a cave diving sugar daddy buddy are you?:tease:

I dunno... I'm not sure I can afford the airfare or even the gas to Fla right now... I just bought a light! :rolleyes:

But I'll light up the Stolt bright enough for you see from there, how's that? :D

Is it just me, or does that look like 8 AA batteries soldered and wrapped in plastic??? Is that worth the massive price hike from the comparable lead acid lights they sell?

Originally posted by bengiddins
Is it just me, or does that look like 8 AA batteries soldered and wrapped in plastic??? Is that worth the massive price hike from the comparable lead acid lights they sell?

Yes, that is what it looks like, but, no, they are not just AA's

Smaller and more burn time... (and yea, i guess there's something to say for the solid delrin rod that the canister is carved out of)
It's much smaller than a Pro6 and has double the burn time on an 18 Watt HID.

Depending on the diving your doing and where, it could be the difference between bringing one canister or two on the trip. And those Pro 6's and Pro 14's aren't exactly cheap either...

Having flown to Akumal last December and bringing two 14AH SLAs and diving with three folks who had Sartek's CBP4.5NiMH lights, I vowed "Never again."

So it turns out unbeknownst to me, the day Halcyon posted the Helios lights, I ordered a Sartek. Yhea it's not focusable, but I didn't see that as an issue, folks were able to communicate via light signals just fine on all our dives (except me, I was the ONLY one with a Halogen, which is why I never brought up the rear).

Nice little package, I'm looking forward to it at half the cost of a Helios.

Roak

http://www.sarind.com/nimh.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom