Halcyon Evolve JJ Wing to replace the standard wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keysdvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi.
Currently diving my JJ in GUE config - 2x LP50s, 2x 3L. Using the standard JJ wing, but considering getting the Halcyon Evolve JJ wing. If you have one - are you happy with it?

I've switched to an AL BP, but with a steel BP and thin undergarments the current wing feels very 'full' and a bit constricted between my back/hips and the tanks. I'm concerned that when adding a deco bottle, it'll be the same despite AL BP and heavier garments. Debating the Halcyon with 42 lbs of lift ('only' 2 lbs more lift than the standard, but wider to accommodate the LP50s?). Very leary of jumping to a much larger wing (ie. 60lb Scubapro or similar).

Thanks!
Michael

Very leary of jumping to a much larger wing (ie. 60lb Scubapro or similar).
Not quite answering your question, but FWIW... I use the Halcyon 60 lb Evolve with a Fathom Heavy (2x LP50s + 2x 3L) config. It wraps nicely, and I have no issues with trapped air. Zero, one, or two deco bottles are not a problem. While I'm not doing dives that would warrant 3 deco bottles, I highly doubt it would be a concern. Have run AL plate + thin layers (Xerotherms) and steel plate + thicker layers (Arctic+Xerotherms).

I was also doubtful at first, but I was told by several people I trust that it was the best choice for that config. I see no reason to disagree based on my experience.

thanks!

Re: Halcyon 60 wing - Evolve or Legend? Did you have to cut holes in it for routing? Is the inflator elbow off center, and if not - do you find that it gets in the way?

Evolve. I cut/melted an X for the drysuit hose near the bottom. The O2 runs in the triangular channel between plate, wing, and LP50s. Wing could do the same if run off the 3L, though hot drops over an abyss probably warrant coming off the left post (LP50).

The elbow is central but angled left, so the corrugated hose doesn't hit you in the head or neck. (I run it inside the loop/counter lung connection.)

I do run the wing inflator hose through a couple inner tube segments around the corrugated hose, and I think that helps make the latter behave. The inflator hose (only) goes through a bungee loop about collar-bone high on the harness (after the inner tubes) so it easily slides when lifted. The control end of the inflator is always where I reach for it.

How much gas is in your wings when diving these rigs? Can you shed weight somewhere? It doesn't sound like a very balanced rig if the wing is full or feeling full during normal operation. What if you lose the wing or have a flood? Is the solution really just a bigger wing?

If you're carrying two or three extra stages that are themselves negatively buoyant, a bigger wing in that case could still be able to provide another extra ~40lbs of emergency/contingency buoyancy on top of what's already in there. Are we talking about that?

What is the bottom temp? What is the undergarment? Which kinds of warm water types of dives is the GUE rig appropriate for?

Is the GUE config really designed (or ideal) for thin unders (or wetsuit) diving? Seems not much wrong with wearing a thicker undergarment underwater if it balances out the rig? If you can manage the predive sweatfest (spray water on the suit can help)

If weight can't be shed anywhere else, then if diving just a baselayer one might consider aluminium cylinders, or even carbon fiber, for some of the onboards?

I'm not diving a mega unit with four onboard cylinders, but the wing is mostly empty with 2x 3L's on board and two LP50 bailouts as stages with BZ400 unders, plus wing inflate, heating battery, torches etc. And that's with shrink-wrapped lead rods in the handle tubes. 10mm hood, RK3 (don't need a heavy jetfin..)

Not sure if the JJ in any config is really designed for warm water, thin unders, or wetsuits (but there are ways to make it work--carbon backplate is another option)

Stock JJ is just about neutral for me ali80s as deco / bailout, give or take 1 kg depending on undergarments / fresh / salt / which 3 litre dil and O2 cylinders I pick. With thicker undergarments, I can pretty much get away with using drysuit for buoyancy and use the wing only on the surface. With anything thinner I would need ali or carbon fibre backplate.

JJ wing is not the most buoyant wing ever due to its shape and honestly I’ve been debating replacing it even with stock JJ. I can imagine that if you are very negative with with steel cylinders you need to keep it quite full.

You're not alone there many people i know have went with the 60# on the heavy rigs. I'm still using a 40 but I'm looking for a 60 myself.

My issue is the 40 to achieve the buoyancy required is too small and pushes on the bmcl

I replaced the standard wing with a Tecline wing. I'am diving the 'normal' JJ. Reason for me was that I could hardly keep my chin above water with multiple bail outs. Not nice in choppy conditions. The Tecline wing has slighly more buoyancy than the JJ wing, which raises me a little bit higher on the surface.

In my opnion the standard JJ wing is a little under dimensioned.

i dive a fathom but i recently switched from the original halcyon evolve jj wing (32 pounds of lift) to the new gusseted version (42 pounds of lift). I find it works pretty well even in fresh water with deco bottles. In the same configuration i found the original halcyon evolve jj wing would be filled to the brim and felt wobbily as a result

Not quite answering your question, but FWIW... I use the Halcyon 60 lb Evolve with a Fathom Heavy (2x LP50s + 2x 3L) config. It wraps nicely, and I have no issues with trapped air. Zero, one, or two deco bottles are not a problem. While I'm not doing dives that would warrant 3 deco bottles, I highly doubt it would be a concern. Have run AL plate + thin layers (Xerotherms) and steel plate + thicker layers (Arctic+Xerotherms).

I was also doubtful at first, but I was told by several people I trust that it was the best choice for that config. I see no reason to disagree based on my experience.
Same here. Theoretically its more wing than is necessary for that rig, but it wraps nicely around the unit. Its streamlined and air movement around the wing is fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom