Halcyon entering SM market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scuttle butt on the Cave Divers forum is Hollis screwed the pooch by refusing to incorporate Edd's SMS modifications into production models. Halcyon, seized the opportunity to capitalize on Edd's expertise. Halcyon may be trying to cash in on the side-mount market and this may be totally unrelated to GUE/DIR. Remember Halcyon removed the "DIR Dive Company" off their logos. So not everything they do has to be DIR complaint.

From talking to JJ, I don't think GUE is going to give up the central idea of standardization any time soon . . . it's very powerful, and it works. Exactly how they are going to incorporate either sidemount or CCR isn't clear right now, but I suspect that they will continue to keep the standardized configuration they have always used for the vast majority of classes and divers. After all, in the greater scheme of things, how many people EVER go on to do dives where OC backmount is not a reasonable option? And the few who do, really ought to be at a level of proficiency where they can tolerate some gear changes, and also have enough common sense not to change configurations and immediately go and do a dive at their max level.

Reactions: RJP
Pete, could you cite a source for anyone currently associated with GUE stating that sidemount is going to kill divers? I'm having difficulty locating something like that, but I thought I would ask you before spending too much time on it since it seems you've found it.

Hang out around Ginnie on Wednesday night and listen to the GUE peeps for the last few years. C'mon man, it's no secret they've been against sidemount forever. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are finally moving to SM because they see the value and admit that SM fulfills a need. It's either that, or they've realized a market that produces great revenue and with their dying numbers year after year, they're trying to survive financially by any means necessary.

Its really one or the other (or both). I choose to think it's the first reason.

But please don't try to convince the masses that GUE was okay with sidemount all this time. That's a hopeless endeavor. And yes, they even said exactly, "sidemount is going to kill people." Many of us have heard it countless times.

Kudos to them (gue) for finally getting their heads out of the sand regardless of the reason for the change.

Hang out around Ginnie on Wednesday night and listen to the GUE peeps for the last few years. C'mon man, it's no secret they've been against sidemount forever. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are finally moving to SM because they see the value and admit that SM fulfills a need. It's either that, or they've realized a market that produces great revenue and with their dying numbers year after year, they're trying to survive financially by any means necessary.

Its really one or the other (or both). I choose to think it's the first reason.

But please don't try to convince the masses that GUE was okay with sidemount all this time. That's a hopeless endeavor. And yes, they even said exactly, "sidemount is going to kill people." Many of us have heard it countless times.

Kudos to them (gue) for finally getting their heads out of the sand regardless of the reason for the change.
nobody thinks sidemount is going to kill anyone. many of these gue people you see at ginnie have been diving sidemount for years... (ESPECIALLY this wednesday night crew I think you're talking about)
still waiting to hear who it is you heard say this

You're right. No one in GUE has ever said that being NON-DIR was going to kill anyone. What was I thinking? LOL. :)

nobody thinks sidemount is going to kill anyone. many of these gue people you see at ginnie have been diving sidemount for years... (ESPECIALLY this wednesday night crew I think you're talking about)
still waiting to hear who it is you heard say this
At least two of the Wed night crew told me 3+ years ago about playing around with a H SM rig during a Wed night dive with them.

2-3 years ago one of the wed night crew who also works at GUE and I helped reline Convict Springs (a sm only cave).

Not entirely sure where Pete is getting his info on this one, but I'm all ears.

You're confusing "not optimal" with "you're gunna die".

I've always been on the anti-SM side of the fence (mostly for dives that don't genuinely need SM), but I've always maintained that it has a purpose and is reasonable for some dives. I don't think anyone from Halcyon or GUE has had a stance very different than that for some time now. Maybe in the 90s or something.

All those guys recognize that it has its place, and they've (we've?) recognized that for quite some time now.

Guys, spin it all you want, the masses know how GUE felt about sidemount for more than a decade. I know there are GUE divers diving sidemount. I also know that for a long time they were trying to keep it on the down low and were actually embarrassed to be caught diving sidemount by fellow GUE peeps. I've been within earshot a few times during some of the ridicule before or after the dive. I also know BM GUE divers refused to dive with SM divers because it would be dangerous, ie. someone might die.

Things are changing, possibly for the better. The past is the past, but it did exist.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

You're confusing "not optimal" with "you're gunna die".

I'm not confusing it. I will agree that I am prone to exaggeration though. :)

Consensus reality mixed with a little bit of truthiness.

Perfect.

EXACTLY MY POINT. :) It's like you in my brain PfcAJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom