Halcyon Eclipse review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm not a fan of the DIR folks, but I do like the Halcyon gear. So when my BPW system finally fell beyond repair after 15 years, I bought a new Halcyon Eclipse system with a 30# donut wing and single tank adapter. My old system was a Frankenstein affair centered around a wonderful 24# Deep Sea Supply horseshoe wing. I did not use a single tank adapter with my old system.

Link to the manufacture's website:
Halcyon Eclipse BC System

I ordered my new Eclipse online during the pandemic from a major Halycon dealer, and it arrived missing some parts. A few phone calls and a few weeks later, I had the entire kit that I had ordered. The first package of missing parts that they sent to me never arrived, so they had to ship the missing parts again.

My initial thought was "This is quality." I couldn't wait to get back in the water.

Recently I spent 10 days diving in Cozumel with the new rig, and it was... interesting.

Maybe it's me, getting used to a new system.

Maybe it's the donut wing versus the horseshoe wing.

I don't know. But I found it difficult to get the Eclipse trimmed out in left/right roll. The system always wanted to roll. I tightened down the harness quite a lot (more so than what I am used to), and that solved about 75% of the roll issue.

My old 24# Deep Sea Supply horseshoe was very forgiving. I could roll around, dive vertically down into a hole, and then easily get the wing trimmed out again. And when I rolled to shift the air around in the wing, I could hear the bubbles and therefore I could judge how far to roll and how much air I was shifting from one side to the other. Typically about 10-15 minutes into a deep dive I have completely emptied my wing of all air and I'm on breath control only.

The Halcyon Eclipse seems to be very sensitive and silent. Once I got it trimmed out, the slightest posture shift will throw it out of whack. And I cannot hear the bubbles, so I can't tell how much air I am shifting around. After 10 days, I started feeling pretty comfortable with the Eclipse, but learning the new wing was more difficult than I had anticipated. It is really quite a sensitive but beautiful beast.

Now if I can only figure how the storage pack is supposed to be used.....

I had a similar sensation when I switched from horseshoe to donut. You'll forget about it...............unless you're obsessive/compulsive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom