halcyon eclipse for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slaterson19

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use my eclipse 40lb. wing on a set of doubles? I heard that some people were doing this. Also, if I were to get a evolve wing would I need the 40 or 60 lb. wing? I am currently diving with a 130 hp tank and the 40 lb. eclipse wing which gives me plenty of lift when i'm on the surface. (I am 6 ft. 160-170 lbs.)

I would not recommend the Eclipse wing with doubles. If you get the Evolve, we'd need to know what tanks you are using to recommend the 40 or 60.

The choice of wing depends on what cylinders you will be using. I use a 55lb explorer with both double 80s in the ocean and double 130s in FW. Although the 55lb wing is overkill for double 80s, the setup works well and avoids needing 2 wings. I would not use the eclipse wing with doubles. They are not designed for doubles and will not fit properly.

~Marlinspike

Also consider if you will be diving dry or wet. Redundant bouyancy may be a concern if you are diving wet.

~Marlinspike

I will echo the above posts. Use the right wing for the right tanks. You really can't cut corners on this. For single HP tanks, I dive an eclipse 40. For double 80's, I dive an explorer 40lb wing. For double PST steel 100s and 120s, I dive a 55lb explorer. I will add that when diving steel tanks, I dive a dry suit...

VinceDS:
I will echo the above posts. Use the right wing for the right tanks. You really can't cut corners on this. For single HP tanks, I dive an eclipse 40. For double 80's, I dive an explorer 40lb wing. For double PST steel 100s and 120s, I dive a 55lb explorer. I will add that when diving steel tanks, I dive a dry suit...

agreed. Steel doubles + wet suit is not DIR. The wetsuit looses bouancy when going deeper, and that might result in non-neutral rig. You should be able to swim up if your wing fails (apart from having backup bouancy).

The choice of wing normally depends on how wide your set is. If the wing is too big, it will 'flap' above the tanks, making dumping air with the rear dump harder. I use an Explorer 44 pounds for my steel double 12 liter. (and that is enough, because I am weighted just right to be neutral with 30 bar in the set, so I only have to compensate for the gas I am using. No need for a bigger wing)

An Eclpse is designed for single-tank use. If you would use it with doubles it would inflate between your tanks and your back. I do not know if that will work, but it surely sounds uncomfortable!

Reinoud:
agreed. Steel doubles + wet suit is not DIR. The wetsuit looses bouancy when going deeper, and that might result in non-neutral rig. You should be able to swim up if your wing fails (apart from having backup bouancy).

In general I agree, but note that there are lightweight steel tanks that are neutral or near neutral when empty. Wetsuit + heavy negative steel tanks usually means no ditchable ballast, bad news if your BC fails. Lightweight steels usually usually result in some additional ballast being necessary, if configured as ditchable it might be ok, this is reallly no different that AL doubles + a wetsuit. It's important to understand why these recommendations were made.

Reinoud:
An Eclpse is designed for single-tank use. If you would use it with doubles it would inflate between your tanks and your back. I do not know if that will work, but it surely sounds uncomfortable!

If you try to use a single tank wing with doubles, the wing simply can't inflate much. It will be trapped between the tanks and the plate. Only the portion outboard of the plate will be free to inflate. This means the available lift will be greatly reduced, not exactly what you want with doubles.

Tobin

slaterson19:
I will be diving 100 hp doubles

40 pound explorer or evolve would be fine.
there are also plenty of other wing manufacturers out there too.
I have not had such good experience with Halcyon wings and might look elsewhere next time I buy

cool_hardware52:
Lightweight steels usually usually result in some additional ballast being necessary, if configured as ditchable it might be ok, this is reallly no different that AL doubles + a wetsuit.
That's not true.

The buoyancy swing on (standard) double AL80s ranges from -2.8 to +8.8 in salt water - maybe shifted a little more to the negative side when you add bands and a manifold. Lightweight steels, on the other hand (including Faber, original "Genesis" tanks made by PST, and the newer E7s) are about neutral when empty, and will be much more negative (as compared to AL80s) when full. Their buoyancy characteristics are closer to NB80s, which makes them a less desirable choice for divers in wetsuits (as discussed in this recent thread).

A lightweight steel cylinder might be marginally acceptable for wetsuit diving in a single tank rig (depending on other factors), but there is no way I would double them up unless I was diving dry.

cool_hardware52:
It's important to understand why these recommendations were made.
On this, we agree - the critical issue is one of the "balanced rig", which is why it's important to check these things before committing to a purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom