Halcyon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcj11516

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone
I am looking to get a back inflate bcd and found a Halcyon BCD, Dose anyone know anything good or bad about them,

Thanks

Probably the best out there IMO in terms of design, quality of materials and fit/finish.

Nothing bad that I know, except maybe for the price.

I haven't used them but their reputation is second to none. From what I've read there are no brands better, only some that are just as good for cheaper. Brand new Halcyon gear is extremely pricey. If you can get a good price and it's what you need then go for it.

Hi everyone
I am looking to get a back inflate bcd and found a Halcyon BCD, Dose anyone know anything good or bad about them,

Thanks

I picked up an all-dressed Halcyon Infinity at Christmas when my LDS had a pretty decent sale. You definitely pay a premium for the blue H, but the quality is superb. I love not needing a weight belt even using a 7MM wetsuit, though I'll have to re-think weighting when my new drysuit arrives in a week or two. The Infinity's Cinch System is brilliant, utterly simple to adjust and I can ditch the entire rig in seconds. Halcyon have tons of great videos on their web site, so you can see all about the various systems and options before buying.

If you can find a good Halcyon system used, definitely go for it. Even if you don't buy a Halcyon, I would absolutely advise going BP/W anyway, even with a less expensive system. The mis and match concept and being able to replace/upgrade individual components like backplates, wings etc, is fantastic.

Not everybody agrees that you need a Mercedes when a Honda will do the job just as well. You can get a perfectly serviceable BP/W rig for half the price of a list price Infinity.

I still am using my Halcyon 18 pound wing from 1998--whatever the first year they came out was....the system is exactly as good today as it was then....these are made to last much longer than most divers will ever dive :)

They are also ultra low drag, and have some very intelligent integration potentials for whatever you need to be doing on a dive....the thing is, don't try to "gear" the halcyon system the way most new divers will "deck out" a typical BC....there is a very different method to optimize a BP and Wing system.....and your best resource for these solutions, will be the DIR forum in Scuba board.....and asking questions there does not mean you need to be DIR :)

I'll vouch for their customer service. I bought an Eclipse used and the wing's outer shell was fraying a bit at the bottom. I sent them an email with a photo and they sent me a new cordura shell the next day. Thumbs-up for their customer service!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom