halcyon 7' and 5' reg hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaucho223

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a 7' and one 5' used (but in good shape)hose ..halcyon preferred

7 ft braided hoses are not a good idea. They are too floaty, take a set, and kink up when stored coiled for too long. And they feel like sandpaper on wet skin. I had a 40 on a stage bottle. First time I looped it around my neck with no hood it caught some of those hairs on the back of my neck.

7 ft braided hoses are not a good idea. They are too floaty, take a set, and kink up when stored coiled for too long. And they feel like sandpaper on wet skin. I had a 40 on a stage bottle. First time I looped it around my neck with no hood it caught some of those hairs on the back of my neck.

Agreed. I've dove the Miflex long hoses for 5+ years, and do not like them for the same reasons. Bad part is... I dislike replacing functioning gear more, and the damn hoses won't die.

I've learned to live with and work around the issues. They store like crap on your rig when not in the water - I coil mine and run the backup bolt snap through the coil and onto the right d-ring. That helps keep things tidy. I have a neoprene drysuit neck seal (in cold water I prefer it over latex), and that's covered with a thick hood - haven't noticed any wear or chafing in hundreds of dives.

I've also dove it without a hood in Florida, and without a drysuit on warmer water vacations. My neck fared fine, but on one 60 dive trip, my buddy had a hose rub mark on the back of her neck from her miflex long hose. Looked like a huge, narrow, oval shaped hickey.

I like the hoses, they're plenty cool looking and durable, but I will go back to plain black rubber when it's time to replace them.

They don't even stamp the big Blue H on them.....

Seriously though, all the hoses come from the same place, more or less.
If you're worried about "quality", you can rest assured most new ones sold are the 400psi rated ones instead of the 250psi.
It really makes no difference.

actually, the few halcyon hoses I've had actually say Halcyon on the hose itself, but other than that there is no difference between the hoses.
Also why buy used? You can buy new ones for like $30 for the regular rubber ones. The double braided ones aren't much more either, not worth the hassle to buy used hoses....

Thanks all. The only reason for halcyon? slightly smaller diameter of hose and ease of use. I'm only basing my application on a few set of hoses I've been using. I happen to get a Halcyon hose and well it seemed to make sense. I do realize the materials and connectors (raw materials ) are made by one or two manufactures. In fact, I called the good folks are Parker Engineering and we kibitiz'd on the specs for connectors, materials, the overseas manufacturing processes, and importing agreements (I guess you can tell I have too much time on my hands). But the Braided stuff for long hose? Too difficult to work with. I believe carbon-nano tube and some alternative materials holds a future in the dive industry in ways have yet to discover. But that will probably happen long after I leave this good planet. Cheers to all for the great insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom