Hakuna Matata shakedown dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuby-doo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Aloha!

I had the opportunity to go diving on my friends' dive boat (Jack & Shelly's "Hakuna Matata") today for the 2nd shakedown trip as they prepare to put the boat into live-aboard service here on O'ahu. This was my second time diving on this boat and I have to say that I again had a great time. The yacht is very comfy and runs like a dream. It has an extremely smooth ride and is a great dive platform. They've done a very nice job setting it up for diving. I'll tell you what else was great - hanging out inside the air-conditioned cabin in between dives and the hot shower after the diving was done for the day! Ahhhh...

On our first dive, we dropped down on and explored the cavern at Black Rock and then south along the base of ledge. Roger, Shelly, Jack and I spent about 30 minutes between 75-92 ft exploring the area and as usual, we weren't disappointed. Black Rock is always a cool dive.

During our surface interval, we drove to a "secret spot" known only to a few old-timers. We were in no hurry (keeping with the whole spirit of the name "Hakuna Matata") so we took time to eat some great food and talk story for a while. Eventually, we figured we'd better get in the water to check this place out. Again, we were not disappointed. A series of overhead environments with many skylights greeted us and we spent just over 45 minutes exploring the seemingly endless network of swim-throughs, canyons and ledges. I'd definitely like to come back to this site. Thank-you Roger, for not only leading us here but leading us through it as well!

Thanks Jack & Shelly for taking me along. It's a great boat, and if today's activities are indicative of what your clients will get to experience, you will be very busy indeed.

Mahalo

Patrick

Glad to hear you all had a great time....I hope I get a chance to join you some time in the future!

Aloha,
Lisa

Man reading that report almost feels like I was there, DUH LOL oh yeah I was. Thanks for going today Pat. Roger sure is awesome to dive with huh !!!!!

Jack

We saw you. If you noticed a black zodiac circling you on your first dive as you were getting in the water that was me, and 2 of my tech diving buddys heading out for some skill dives. ... We also saw where you were anchored for your second "secret" spot :) Guess, now I have to go check it out...looked like you were having fun.

Sherman

Aloha All
Had a blast today. Diving in small groups, definately is the way to go. The Boat is working up great, and every trip shows the improvement.
Aloha Roger

We saw you. If you noticed a black zodiac circling you on your first dive as you were getting in the water that was me, and 2 of my tech diving buddys heading out for some skill dives. ... We also saw where you were anchored for your second "secret" spot :) Guess, now I have to go check it out...looked like you were having fun.

Sherman

That was you? We just figured you were from "Homeland [In]security" :wink:

Patrick

Yeah, we were making bets whether or not the boat had a name yet :) Hence we wanted to see both sides...

Sherm

Hopefully this week I can get someone out to paint the names, got any ideas on who?

Now since you know the boat you dont have any excuses not to pull up and come aboard for a drink. Next time.

Jack

Hopefully this week I can get someone out to paint the names, got any ideas on who?

Now since you know the boat you dont have any excuses not to pull up and come aboard for a drink. Next time.

Jack

Sweet, careful what you ask for I might have to take you up on that offer :)

Sherm

Yeah, we were making bets whether or not the boat had a name yet :) Hence we wanted to see both sides...

Sherm

Rumor has it Jack used those stick-on letters everyone in Hawaii uses for their boat names. But the boat was goes so fast they keep blowing off! ;-)

The boat can't continue to be without its name painted on. Otherwise our all-knowing government will assume it's a terrorist vessel and launch another war...

Anyone know of a good artist who specializes in painting boat names? Please forward their info to Jack.

Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom