Hair control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the perfect sollution, shave it off. No hair, no problem.

That's what I did!

Before I shaved my hair though, I used to put leave in conditioner in my hair straight after. My hair was down to my hips and would turn into a horrific nightmare without conditioner. You have to get to it pretty quick though.

After discussing the issue with my hairdresser, I've found a something that works. When I'm on a liveaboard and doing lots of dives, I rinse my (very straight) hair when I get out , get the tangles out and then put a bit of 'leave-in' conditioner in my hair (I'm an Aveda junkie so I use one of theirs but anything should work). At the end of the day I use a hair detox shampoo that remedies salt and chlorine damage and conditioner well. It works for me.

My problem is my flyaway hair when I'm diving. I end up doing two pig-tail type braids because it's about the only way I can keep my hair under control in the water. Hoods do help some.

Drysuit neck seals ....that's another story! I'm resigned to the fact that each time I take it off, I'll leave some hair behind. Any tips on this one??

Last edited:
Get your hair wet with fresh water and spray a little leave in conditioner in before you dive and pull it in a pony while still wet. you want your hair wet when you get into the water) This way the salt water does not penetrate your hait too bad and it keeps the fly-aways down. I also keep a wide tooth comb rather than a brush in my dive bag. Using that instead had really made a difference too.

If your hair is long, braid it. I have long hair and I find two french braids work well. I also put a coconut cream in it as I braid it which keeps the little shorter hairs from flying all over as it dries.

If your hair is long, braid it. I have long hair and I find two french braids work well. I also put a coconut cream in it as I braid it which keeps the little shorter hairs from flying all over as it dries.

It's actually possible to french braid your own hair? No matter how hard I try, I just can't do it on my own head. Any tips?

This sounds gross, but that greasy old VO5, *hair dressing*if you are not wearing a hood actually stays in the hair (not water soluble!) and makes your hair look wet until you shower and shampoo it out.

Otherwise I condition with the regular stuff and wear a Hyperstretch vested hood.
But for the tropics, something greasy that stays in all day, works for me. It just looks wet, then.

lol---I have quite the routine actually. No one ever called me low maintenance. A black mask is kinder to crow's feet too, if that helps.

Yes, it's possible to french braid your own hair. Not in the most elaborate styles, perhaps, but I could do a basic French or Dutch (reverse French) braid when my hair was long. It took some practice to get the hang of it, but once I did it took very little time and I could do it anywhere, even on a moving boat. You do it mostly by feel anyway, so a mirror wasn't necessary.

Are you women really shaving your heads?

(not that there is anything wrong with that)

but...is that a "look"?

It's actually possible to french braid your own hair? No matter how hard I try, I just can't do it on my own head. Any tips?
As hair Management was the most challenging skill for me when learning to dive, and a French braid is mandatory for me; I began to write how I do it.
That is excruciatingly tedious; as at least for me, it is all in the section/finger placement and actions.
So if you want to know how I do, PM me and give some details as to hair length, tangle tendency and where your problem is and I’m willing to work from there.

there's a 'klutz' book about different braids & such. i thought it had some pretty good tutorials about braiding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom