Haigh Quarry dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevensondrive

Registered
Reaction score
I went with our local dive club up to Haigh Quarry in Kankakee Ill this weekend. I am working on my AOW card. I completed the Nav, S&R and wreck portions on this trip. I only need to complete the deep :11: and another advanced dive (??) to get my card.

I was impressed with the site. Our guys got to the site right at 7 AM to get a prime location on the "beach." so we walked right to the pond. they have tons of blugills, some pretty nice sized large mouth bass, descent sized cats and some very ellusive paddle fish (never seen them). The house boat is large enough to swim through, which we did. they also have a large (8' ish) corragated pipe that is about 20' long to swim through.

The visibility was around 20'. in areas it was a tad more and others it was poor. we brought our own food and grill so we didn't consume their local chow. air fills were pretty quick. usually less than 5 minutes. A day of diving at the site was $20 and fills were $7 each. The www.haighquarry.com has a list of hotels that give a rate for their divers. we stayed at the Lee's Inn for like $60 which included a hot breakfast. pretty clean and quiet hotel. we were quite satisified with the whole trip.

The only negative were the Chicago divers/drivers. They are a bit pushy and think the world revolves around their schedule. but they are quickly forgotten once the bikini clad beauties start peeling out of their wetsuits :D

Steve

huh? me no comprendo.

want more details or what?

ok, at 45' on the boat visit it was 63 degrees and I shivered and shook! 3-5-3 was helpful but not enough. on top of that I had a heck of a time getting the sink started with my new thick wetsuit. I kept adding weight and finally got down under.

Not all of us are pushy. There are a few dive stores that are aggressive when at the quarry. Don't lump all of us in the same bucket. But I will agree with you on the hotties peeling themselves out of wetsuits. Grrrrr...

HQ as we call it is a great quarry to dive. I was open water certified there in July of 04 and was hooked on the place from the first day.I wish i would of done my AOW there but the dive shop chose another place.I try to dive HQ once a month May thru Sept or even Oct.Yes it s true about the hotties unzipping from there wetsuits LOL.

durning the summer soes the water warm up enough for no wetsuit or a skin suite thanks

Back
Top Bottom