H202 Therapy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susi49

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm new to this site, but not to scuba diving. I live in Palm Beach County. I've had my AOW certification for over 10 years. I am 62 years old and have COPD. I did read a few messages regarding this condition, but I have a very specific question. Here goes: I've been diving with COPD, breathing a nitrox mix of usually 35% without any problems for the past 10+years. I do use my rescue inhaler before I go down. I've been researching alternative methods of ridding myself of the symptoms and recently came across H2O2 therapy. I am planning to do the protocols of this therapy. My question is, can I still dive while I'm doing the protocol? Does anyone out there know of it?

I'm not knowledgable about the computer so it may take me a while to figure this out.....LOL!

Thanks divin'dog! My husband and I have been members of DAN since we began diving. I did in fact go on their website and read several articles about pulmonary effects. I will ask one of their dive doctors. However, I think I already knew what the response will be, NO! My husband has asthma and the dive docs are conservative.....not a bad thing! There's so few Mainstream doctors that are even aware of this therapy. Thanks again! :blinking:

Hi Susi49,

First, may I ask what type of COPD you have and whether it's related to any outside insult, like smoking?

You probably know that inhaled hydrogen peroxide is an alternative therapy that is not embraced by the medical community at large. A search of PubMed did not return any published research on the topic. However, there are several studies that mention exhaled, endogenously produced (produced by the body) hydrogen peroxide. The Reader's Digest version: hydrogen peroxide is produced by certain cells in the airways in response to oxidiative stress. Levels of this hydrogen peroxide in exhaled air have been used in studies to measure of the severity of COPD and the effectiveness of a particular treatment. In other words, hydrogen peroxide in your lungs is a bad thing, not a good thing. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer and produces reactive oxygen species, which you don't want in excess in healthy lungs, much less lungs with COPD. Under water, this could theoretically increase your risk of pulmonary O2 toxicity while you're breathing your hyperoxic mix.

If you do your research on H2O2 therapy, you'll probably find a lot of anecdotal evidence on alternative therapy websites. The perennial problem with anecdotal evidence is that negative results are rarely reported, i.e. you'll only hear about Betty who had wonderful results with H2O2 and not about the 20 others who had either no effect or adverse effects.

I would discourage you from using inhaled H2O2 to treat your COPD. At the very least, please consult your pulmonologist before trying it and, if you choose to do it, do not dive while you're actively undergoing this therapy.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
IMHO, using inhaled H2O2 to treat COPD is not wise.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Susie49,

Pls be careful of what you find on the internet... There is so much that is both good and bad. Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem. That being said, I know the frustration when it comes to dealing with western medicine practices that do not "cure" your problem. I am not anti-western medicine but believe there are other very valid alternative options. Sometimes the two modalities need to work together. If seeking alternative options, pls find someone who has a successful professional practice with a notable reputation.

My story: I had extremely bad bronchitis many yrs ago. I kept going to my primary care physician and all they could do was give me steroids/inhalers, etc. and tell me what preventative measures to take. It definitely didn't get the job done. It was only getting worse. It got to the point that I was ready for anything that would help me. The inhalers basically suppressed the illness and didn't heal. All the while, a friend had been telling me to visit her doctor which I had put off... Doctors are doctors, right? Well her doctor was a certified acupuncturist and herbal practitioner and I gave it a try. I went in coughing with almost every breath and left with a manageable cough after the first visit. I still had to go back for followup treatments for several months. What my primary care physician couldn't do, this acupuncturist was able to do with needles and herbs. So... if you are looking to get alternative modalities of healing, I would recommend that you find a really reputable acupuncturist who also does herbal treatment. The two go hand in hand. Find someone who has a professional practice with a proven track record over many yrs. Talk to them to find out what they know about COPD before getting treatment. Then ask what the treatment will be. Finding a good doctor is not easy (almost like trying to find a good LDS! :wink: ). So what do you call a med student who graduates last in his class? Doctor...

Thanks for the input! I was a smoker of 25+ years (yes, even after the warning was put on the label). I got the diagnosis as a result of having to go to a doctor for a prescription for "the patch" (back then a 'script was required). He stated I had the beginnings of emphysema. I have been an alternative medicine person for the majority of my life and I am well aware of the drawbacks. In researching this therapy I have found many sites on which medical doctors have contributed. I have read about both sides. Thanks again for your input and rest assured I will proceed with caution! :blinking:

---------- Post Merged at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:03 AM ----------

'lo again divin'dog!
I really appreciate you relatiing your circumstances. You know the frustration I feel and like you I use both types of medicines. Incidentially, I have also been reading about the effects of acupuncture on "lung problems", i.e., asthma. I have also been using herbs to control my COPD as well as a balanced diet devoid of dairy products which produce more phlegm. I am well aware of the perils of the internet, because misinformation has been out there a long time. I have a bookshelf full of alternative methods in medicine, gardening, etc.

By the way, I noticed your from Western, MA. I was born and raised in MA, went to UMass and lived there until my mid 30's. Small world!

Thanks again for your care 'n concern. I will proceed with caution! :blinking:

Susie,

When's the last time you had a chest xray or other radiographic study? Are you sure that you don't have any blebs that could become pressurized at depth and put you at risk for pulmonary overinflation?

Best,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom