H10 - NOT Recommended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I defy you to show me one panga on the coast from Cancun to Tulum that could possibly pass a Mexican Coast Guard inspection. I agree with you on one thing, stick to the cenotes. If you want a good dive op in the Yucatan, go with the ones the cave divers use.

First, Ed, sorry to hear that H10 wasn't up to your expectation and I am more sorry to hear that you didn't like Tortuga. I wonder if they dropped you in the wrong site??

Pietro is a great guide who works freelance so you may not get him next time.

As for Baracuda, that is one difficult site to navigate if you don't know where you are going.

I will defy you :D There are a few operators that do have boats that carry all the required safety equipment - seek these operators out. Operators that make excuses need to be avoided. Please, when checking out an op to dive with ask if they have the equipment:O2, flares, signaling device, life jackets, first aid kit, life ring, cell phone, also check to see if they provide water, carry a repair kit and some spares on the boat, heck I even know one that carries some towels for those days when you are cold.

Dennis

Hi Guys,

I appreciate all the input on Ocean Maya H10. This all started with me looking for a shortcut for my son, who is staying at Ocean Maya this week and asked me about that dive op. I should have known from the gitgo to just get in touch with a long time professional and get my son hooked up with him for diving the reefs and cenotes. When I contacted my old friend, Octavio Perez, <c_bluedive@hotmail.com>, Nautilus Diving, he immediately responded. I have dove several times over the past ten years with Octavio. I have certified PADI OW students from Colorado on his boats. I have referred many divers to him. He is personable, speaks excellent English, and runs a top notch safe operation. There is zero possibility that one of his boats would ever leave a diver behind. As I should have expected, Octavio promptly contacted my son, made arrangements to pick him up at his hotel, dive the cenotes one day and the reefs the next. Now I know he will have a great vacation and will be with a safe operation. There just is no substitute for diving with someone you know and trust.

I started this thread with my trip report on H10 Ocean Maya. Earlier there was a reply from Kevin at Diablo Divers. I dove with Kevin a couple of years ago and he is one I would strongly 'RECOMMEND'. I dove with him on the reef off Akumal and then with a friend of his (Paco) at Dos Ojos and Ponderosa (cenotes). Since that time I undersatand he has affilited with the dive shop at Puerto Adventuras and has a permant office there. I would suggest that anyone looking for a safe and competent DM should check out his web site.

I will defy you :D There are a few operators that do have boats that carry all the required safety equipment - seek these operators out. Operators that make excuses need to be avoided. Please, when checking out an op to dive with ask if they have the equipment:O2, flares, signaling device, life jackets, first aid kit, life ring, cell phone, also check to see if they provide water, carry a repair kit and some spares on the boat, heck I even know one that carries some towels for those days when you are cold.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I should have expected a challenge to my overly board statement to come from Puerto Adventuras. PA is a huge exception along the coast from Puerto Morelos down to Tulum as being the only marina of note. PA can support a lot bigger boats than the rest of the coast due to Mexican regulations about piers and public beaches. BTW, the "pangas" I was referring to are the 8m length, 2m beam boats you see all up and down the coast commonly used by dive op's.

Please let all of us know the dive op's whose boats would pass an inspection on any given day. Personally, I would be happy if they just had a first aid kit on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom