H10 - NOT Recommended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Hatfield

Contributor
Reaction score
Ontario , Canada & Playa del Carmen, Mexico
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just returned from a vacation at H10 Ocean Maya. I dove with the resort Dive Op on the Saturday and last Tuesday, 21st and 24th of June. On the second dive of the second day we had a group of 10 divers, 1 DM, a captain and 1 crew member. It was a small boat and we were at the maximum as far as comfort was concerned. The first dive was at Tortugas reef and the briefing included the description that it was a drift dive. The dive was disappointing - no turtles - dead sand covered reef - poor visibility of 30-40 feet (for the Carribean that is). The second dive was Barracuda Reef. Entry was at a marker with little to no current and the briefing made no mention of a drift dive. The boat was almost directly across from the ocean entrace to Xcaret. This made orientation easy and we were close to shore. My dive buddy and I were at the rear and followed the group at a distance of 10-15 feet. At one point the DM stopped at a small cavern and the divers took turns, in pairs looking into it. By the time it was our turn the cavern had zero visibility so we held steady until it cleared enough for us to see the spiny lobster we had stopped to look at. As we turned we ran face to face with a full size turtle and my buddy stopped again to take a picture. We continued and realized the group had moved on without us. We picked up the pace to rejoin the group but ran out of reef. I signalled my buddy to surface so we could check our location and possibly see our boat and with any luck rejoin our group. I could see boats in the water across from the Xcaret entrance and since we both had over 2000PSI I suggested we drop to depth and swim towards the boat because I noticed a slight current against us on the surface. WE dropped and headed SW towards the boats. At 1200PSI I stopped my buddy motioned him to the surface. On top I told him there was no point in continuing and we should wait fort he boat. I put up a signal, 6 foot orange safety sausage, and we waited. We waited, and waited, and waited. We at no time were in any danger and at any time could have swam to shore - but that is not the point. We could still cleary see boats in the water outside the Xcaret entrance and I thought 'Well, they probably still have divers in the water and will come for us when everyone is aboard". After half an hour I finally started to wave the signal and a boat came to our assistance. The crew asked me what reef we were diving and we told him 'Barracuda'. He confirmed that we were still in fact on Barracuda Reef but our boat was nowhere to be seen. There were boats in the distance on the horizon to the north. The boat headed in that direction as the crewman waved to catch the attention of anyone looking for missing divers. Finally one of the boats broke towards us and we were rejoined with our group.
- We were not missed until the dive ended and the group was on the boat.
- The DM in his briefing had failed to mention the fact it was a 'drift' dive.
- The boat had no radio and could not contact other boats and ascertain that there were divers in the water on Barracuda reef with a signal up.
- The DM had not done a head count at any time during the dive.
- There was no oxygen, first aid kit, life jackets, horn or visual signal on the boat.

Once again I must say that we were not in any danger at any time BUT a new diver in the water left abandoned and the outcome could have been different. H10 - nice guys - terrible DM and substandard operation.

My next dive was in the Cenotes, Chac Mol and Kukulkan. The DM was Pietro and he did a great job.

Too bad you had two marginal dives. Lots of good dives ops down there. You just didn't get a good one. I tend to stay away from resort ops unless I know something about them. Cenotes are always good! Glad you got a good one in....

One dive was marginal, the second dive was a complete cluster flop by the dive master/crew. I have found a lot of dive op's on the coast are substandard in their basic safety rules/procedures. I have had this discussion with a shop owner, a PADI 5 Star dive center, and his response was that it cost too much to be in compliance. I defy you to show me one panga on the coast from Cancun to Tulum that could possibly pass a Mexican Coast Guard inspection. I agree with you on one thing, stick to the cenotes. If you want a good dive op in the Yucatan, go with the ones the cave divers use.

I stand corrected! :D

I would not find that difficult to believe at all. If I'm going to PDC and south, I would be diving cenotes that trip. I've got various opinions on the reef diving off shore. The problem isn't for experienced divers, but rather new divers that are not experienced enough to handle SNAFU's on their own.

Regardless of where I am diving, I plan for something bad happening. The worst part of the trip would be having it ruined by a bad dive op.

I stand corrected! :D

I would not find that difficult to believe at all. If I'm going to PDC and south, I would be diving cenotes that trip. I've got various opinions on the reef diving off shore. The problem isn't for experienced divers, but rather new divers that are not experienced enough to handle SNAFU's on their own.

Regardless of where I am diving, I plan for something bad happening. The worst part of the trip would be having it ruined by a bad dive op.

We all plan for failures of one sort or another. That's just safe diving practice 101. One of the worst cases I have seen was a dive where the shop had a loaded boat with three Discover Scuba people on their second dive. Did they add another DM to ride herd on them? Not a chance, just one DM to lead the whole group of 10. Did that op follow Padi rules? Maybe the letter, but not the spirit. Were the three Discover diver in danger, absolutely, and what about the other seven diving with them. Those three bozo's become their problem if things go south. So lax operations do impact experienced divers as well. To me, that dive bordered on being criminal.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of coastal diving in the Yucatan. But the cenotes are fantastic!

but as I have posted before, the Other boats/ops in the area look out for everyone, even if your guys are bums....The questions are:

Why did you get on a boat without 02?
safety equip?
what kinda "instruction" did you get? musta not been like any I have had down there....

live and learn

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I just posted a detailed thread about what Sara and I did on our trip. Pluto Dive definitely had their act together. None of the types of shananagans that you experienced.

Unfortunately though, I imagine with dive ops being a dime (or a peso) per dozen down there, the experience you had probably isn't uncommon.

And that's scary.

Glad you and your buddy made it out safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom