H Valve for deep recreational dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i figure an H valve is better than no redundancy and less bulky than a pony

i dont always have the luxury of a good buddy
in fact, in some cases ive had better luck being paired up with strangers on a charter boat than some of my regular dive buddies
spearos are the absolute worst.
your basically following a solo diver with a spearo

it p!ss3s me off because i do my best to do a good buddy, checking on them regularly and signaling any intent to change direction

ill take a good buddy over a pony or h valve
but ill take a pony or h valve over not diving

mannydib:
hi all

Im considering putting h-valves on my Pressed Steel HP e8-119s for use on deep recreational (130') no deco dives.

I understand that the burst disk and tank o-ring are not redundant on an H. The cylinders are never over-filled, in fact they are dry filled. Tank o-ring failure seems very unlikely and like it would result in a slow leak.

Any advice, comments, suggestions or experience is most welcome.

The Hs and Ys are somewhat outmoded by doubles, these days. You do not get O-ring nor burst disc backup with these. The Hs and Ys greatest benefit used to be in case of freeze ups, for ice diving. But these days, most ice divers prefer twin tanks instead.

So the Hs and Ys are somewhat of a dinosaur.

You would be better off for what you are intending with a large pony, say 20 to 30 cu ft. That would give you complete backup from your MOD with a couple of safety stops back to the surface.

Some esteemed divers do not like ponies. Their reasoning is that a good dive plan plus a good budy negates the need for a pony. This is a strong argument.

If you are diving away from your buddy, or without a buddy, then you would certainly need a large pony, to be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom