Gunilda/Hart trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great site Kevin, thanks for the URL and I'm glad to see the Gunilda is still in pristine condition as it was when I dove her over seven years ago.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Great site Kevin, thanks for the URL and I'm glad to see the Gunilda is still in pristine condition as it was when I dove her over seven years ago.

Mr A

Not quite as pristine as you might think. We were reviewing Terry Irvine's video from his 2000 expedition and all of the lanterns are in the lamp room. In our video we saw 3 empty shelves. I was rather disappointed to think that even a site as beautiful as this is not out of bounds to the wreck raping criminals. According to the locals, zodiacs have been spotted on her at night, but no one has made an effort to involve the authorities. Maybe next year.

People up there make money from divers, you'd think they'd feel a vested interest in protecting that wreck.

Yes! you would think so Marvintpa, but like the big wrecks such as the Andria Doria and Empress etc etc, items slowly disapear. I've seen many items off the Empress for sale on Ebay with in the last year.

Mr A

The Empress was once open to legal looting. Was the Gunilda?

I do believe when it first sank there was an older salvage diver who tried for years to bring up items from the wreck and failed miserably killing one of his friends while diving on air what a buzz at 250' and eventually was stopped by Heritage Canada and enforced by police at that time. I do know there was a Canada film board documentary produced about his diving attempts, I can't remember the name of the film but its one of the flicks they run in the late evenings when there nothing else to show.

Mr A

Marvintpa:
It was called "Drowing in Dreams".
Drowning in Dreams...Yesh

Wow. I'm very envious. Hopefully in a few more years for me......

Good report.

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom