Gulf trips/locales?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got2av8

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm wondering if anybody would like to recommend any favorite dive sites on the Texas coast. My buddy and I are already making plans for the Flower Gardens in Nov. Other than that, are there any fun spots that anyone would care to recommend? We were both thinking of rig/wreck spots to dive, but we're both relatively new to diving and don't want to get out on a trip that ends up with us being in over our heads, so to speak.

With that in mind, any suggestions?

The Gulf Diving boats the Fling and the Spree are not making any trips past this weekend Oct 23/24. There may be some day trips by smaller boats but I think the seas are very iffy this time of year. The bouy reports I have been reading are 3- 7 foot seas. Forecast right now for Friday is 3-5 foot seas. If that is the case then we are going to be on the boat for the last trip of the season with Gulf Diving. Just one more dive......

Debraw:
The Gulf Diving boats the Fling and the Spree are not making any trips past this weekend Oct 23/24. There may be some day trips by smaller boats but I think the seas are very iffy this time of year. The bouy reports I have been reading are 3- 7 foot seas. Forecast right now for Friday is 3-5 foot seas. If that is the case then we are going to be on the boat for the last trip of the season with Gulf Diving. Just one more dive......

Must be nice!!! :eyebrow:

Ah... Displaying my :newbie: status right there, aren't I? I guess it would make sense to curtail offshore activities during the rougher weather in the winter.

Hm. Well, on to the next part. Are there any charter operators who DO conduct dives in the Gulf (maybe closer to shore than the Flower Gardens) during the winter? And would any of them be appropriate for someone like myself, with limited experience? I've looked around on the web, but a lot of what I've seen in this area seems to be either out of date or else geared towards more technical operations.

got2av8:
Ah... Displaying my :newbie: status right there, aren't I? I guess it would make sense to curtail offshore activities during the rougher weather in the winter.

Hm. Well, on to the next part. Are there any charter operators who DO conduct dives in the Gulf (maybe closer to shore than the Flower Gardens) during the winter? And would any of them be appropriate for someone like myself, with limited experience? I've looked around on the web, but a lot of what I've seen in this area seems to be either out of date or else geared towards more technical operations.

You might give these folks a ring----heads up to the fact that the owner of the company passed away last week....so don't know how that will effect their sched.,,,they did have a FG tour for 10/30..? http://www.seasearcherii.com/

got2av8:
Hi all-

I'm wondering if anybody would like to recommend any favorite dive sites on the Texas coast. My buddy and I are already making plans for the Flower Gardens in Nov. Other than that, are there any fun spots that anyone would care to recommend? We were both thinking of rig/wreck spots to dive, but we're both relatively new to diving and don't want to get out on a trip that ends up with us being in over our heads, so to speak.

With that in mind, any suggestions?

I doubt if Texas has anything more difficult to offer than the FGB in the NOV through MAR timeframe. Currents that may require a bit of effort to hold the reg in your mouth are just a minor challenge. And inshore seas with 6 to 8 foot swells may definately check out who is vulnerable to sea sickness. The hairiest part, for me, is that boarding ladder that seems to seek divers with bad timing as it bucks in the 4 to 5 ft seas. But chances are very high that you will be among the lucky majority whose trip is cancelled due to high seas forcasts.

I prefer the San Marcos and Comal rivers during the winter months although I'll still get wet in local lakes until Dec when they get too cold for this WWW.

Starting around May, Corpus Christi shops will conduct day trips to the inshore rigs, seas permitting. I think they run through September.

lol@reg-in-mouth currents...

Good points... I originally posted this question because I was having difficulty finding any info at all for upcoming trips. As I wipe the egg off my face, I think I can understand why now. Seriously gang, thanks for pointing out the issues. I guess that's the difference between taking a boat diving class on the lake in the summer and actually being out on one in the weather.

Guess we'll stick to the lakes & quarries 'til springtime returns.

Or, jump a flight out of Houston and go to Cozumel. Always nice there.

got2av8:
lol@reg-in-mouth currents...

Good points... I originally posted this question because I was having difficulty finding any info at all for upcoming trips. As I wipe the egg off my face, I think I can understand why now. Seriously gang, thanks for pointing out the issues. I guess that's the difference between taking a boat diving class on the lake in the summer and actually being out on one in the weather.

Guess we'll stick to the lakes & quarries 'til springtime returns.

The smaller offshore charters often make wintertime day trips to oil rigs. It's sorta hit-or-miss with them. November is not nearly as bad as December-January weather however. I've made two trips offshore to oil rigs in the winter months, with different operators. The "trick" was having the charter dual purpose... fishing/diving. Basically I tagged along with divers that happened to be avid fishermen, and if the dive site wasn't divable, we just fished.

You still have to keep a close eye on the sea states, however. 30-35 foot monohulls can rock and roll with the best of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom