Gulf Shores - Beach Dives - 8/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Met up with SuPrBuGmAn at Bahama Bob's this morning to dive Whiskey Wreck. The Gulf looked like a lake. Saw a couple of nasty looking stingers on the way out to the wreck. There was a line of dead sea weed/grass about half way out. The grass disappeared before reaching the wreck. Visibility was excellent. At times, it would clear up with vis to 20'. The visibility went down as the tide started going back out. Lots of great sea life with all the regulars. SuPrBuGmAn pointed out several flounder. He has a serious talent for picking them out. What stood out to me on this dive was the number of juveniles I had never seen before. The juvenile butterfly fish barely larger than my thumbnail. The dive went for 105 minutes with a max depth of 16ft. I really enjoy dives where I can concentrate on a small area. Watch the behavior. Blenny's hop from hole to hole, follow a file fish as it works up and down a section of the wreck - awesome dive.

Next up was the great paddlewheeler. I was bindfolded and thrown in the back of the Bronco only to be dumped in the water and led in disorientating circles. Only then did SuPrBuGmAn remove my blindfold. Actually, it was a blacked out mask. The vis was dropping, but still pretty good. I'd say 10-12' with a lot more particulate than the previous dive. Also, the dead grass was around some of the outer parts of the wreck. A few spades got a bit curious with my fins. SuPrBuGmAn pointed out an electric ray. This was a first for me. Dive lasted 78 minutes. I dug in the sand and managed to get to 15'. Water temp was HOT fahrenheit. Once the dive was signaled, I put the blacked out mask back on. When I removed the mask, I was sitting at a table in Bahama Bob's. SuPrBuGmAn and I ate lunch. I was off to Mobile and he was going to check out the boat races.

Looking forward to the next dive.
Dana

I had alot of fun out there too :) I just wish the camera batteries hadn't died after a single picture at the Paddlewheeler.

I ended up taking 109 shots on the battery, all but one on the Whiskey. This is the first time I've had my camera out on that site with good visibility since the wreck has been so uncovered. I have 60+ shots online now.

Blenny.jpg

Blenny2.jpg

I dunno what kind of damsel this is, its a new one on me - but I dig the colors! War Eagle!

AuburnDamsel.jpg

Browncrab.jpg

Damsel.jpg

Filefish2.jpg

Doctorfish.jpg

Flounder2.jpg

Jellyfish.jpg

Lizardfish2.jpg

Pufferfish2.jpg

Spades3.jpg

SuPrBuGmAn:
Now that particular little rascal will get your attention for sure!
Great shots...
Love the Blennies :)
Rick

Great pics - I'll head over to see the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom