Gulf Shores Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddies at Ft. Pickens(Pcola) are generally more forgiving if you don't catch the tides perfectly. Infact, I preffer Ft Pickens to Alabama Points jeddies all around, cept for the extra time spent driving :wink:

Have you been to the Whiskey wreck yet? It's a crap-shoot dive; sometimes there's very little protruding from the sand, sometimes the entire ship's skeleton is exposed.
Of course this coming weekend (8/21-22) is a crap-shoot all around... Earl's on the way, you know.
Rick

The last time I was at the Whiskey Wreck was 3 weeks ago and we couldn't find it because of the algae bloom. The algae has since been blown away, hopefully taking the jellyfish with it, but we've been having rough surf for the past two weeks. I'm hoping to get back out there this week(weekend?) to check and see whats visible and whats living on it at the moment. 3 1/2 - 4 weeks ago, the wreck was about 4-5' out of the sand, with the tropical activity and surf we've been having that could have changed alot.

When exactly are you coming into town? There is a neap Friday which will allow quite a bit of time to dive Friday afternoon...

F 20 High 3:38 AM 0.9 6:22 AM Rise 10:40 AM 15
20 Low 10:14 AM 0.6 7:28 PM Set 10:17 PM
20 High 5:15 PM 0.8
20 Low 8:54 PM 0.7

If you are interested in a 5PM dive Friday evening, I'll be willing to buddy up. I can get away from work at about 4 and be there in time :)

Actually, I'm talking Alabama Point(Jeddies) since there is such a shallow and long High->Low Tide

0.1 difference between High(5:15PM) and Low(8:54PM)

You can hit Whiskey anytime, regardless of tides. We'll be out there this week sometime to see whats protruding from the sands. I'll post about it here...

Hit Whiskey Wreck last night.

Algae and Jellyfish have been blown away by the storms we've had the last couple of weeks. Water was a nice emerald color but had lots of sedimentation in it causing for 5-10' vis. Good enough for us...

The wreck itself was 5-6'+ out of the sand at some points making one side of the hull quite visible(the other side is still under as usual - its seldom uncovered enough to make out the entire hull). Lots of fish including red and brown snapper, grunts, pinfish, spades, puffers, damsels, blennies, gobies, flounder, saw a hardfin with a remora, southern rays, blue and stone crabs, saw a single spotfin butterfly, and saw a few more yellow and white fish with black stripes that I don't think were butterflys, but very nice looking anyway :)

Stayed under for over an hour and got back onshore with almost a half a tank left(my buddy had more than half a tank).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom