Gulf question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may be a dumb question but how far do I have to go from Houston on the gulf shoreline to get to water that has good vis. That is towards Florida? Thanks.

I did some diving off St. Petersburg and it was a great disappointment. Vis was 1-2 feet.

Perhaps I was unlucky, but I avoid the Gulf Coast if I can.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Atlas,

Clear water off Galveston is a tricky question. I've been diving the area for many years and used to own a charter boat operation. Also what may be considered clear to one diver may be muddy to another. Now, what I have found, is that at about 12 to 15 miles off Galveston (if wind and weather are cooperating) you can find clear water of varying degrees. Now I'll classify clear water as water being clear enough to spearfish safely in. My suggestion is that you contact someone operating a scuba charter out of Freeport, Tx. The probability of reaching clear water is closer to shore and there are numerous oil platforms in that area to provide good diving. Also check with some of the divers posting on this boad under Texas Swamp Divers Team. Good diving!!

Back
Top Bottom