Gulf Islands VS Port Hardy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Folks: I am trying to book my first dive trip / liveaboard in BC and I have the choice of either Port Hardy or Gulf islands. Can anyone please give me a comparison of the two places?

Thanks -

Sinbad

To narrow the question a bit: what type of liveaboard price range, would a lodge be ok, where in the Gulf islands and what do you really want to see Mammals, six gill sharks, walls of colour etc...

More definition will get a more accurate response.

I was considering Nautilus Swell which offers both destinations. I am open to other options too because Nautilus Swell is a pretty expensive boat. My primary interest would be to photograph cold water mammals. Lodges are good too. I dont want to restrict myself because I will be coming to dive only so any option that gives me the greatest access to best waters is fine by me.

I'd have to believe that given the choice of Pt Hardy or Gulf Islands, and recognizing your desire to see/photograph marine mammals, Port Hardy is the better choice. The opportunity to dive in proximity to sea lions and seals would be greater near the smaller, unpopulated islands around northern Vancouver Island. If live-aboard isn't an absolute requirement, I'd suggest looking at God's Pocket as a dive op / living arrangement. With the smaller boat, and an intimate day-to-day knowledge of the local waters (and the usual locations of critters who live in them), they'd be my first choice. Lots of commercial marine traffic around the Gulf Islands (ferries). I've dove some sites around Pt Hardy and have to say it is a photographer's (cold water) paradise. Looking forward to a trip report, regardless of what you pick.

C.

I'd have to believe that given the choice of Pt Hardy or Gulf Islands, and recognizing your desire to see/photograph marine mammals, Port Hardy is the better choice. The opportunity to dive in proximity to sea lions and seals would be greater near the smaller, unpopulated islands around northern Vancouver Island. If live-aboard isn't an absolute requirement, I'd suggest looking at God's Pocket as a dive op / living arrangement. With the smaller boat, and an intimate day-to-day knowledge of the local waters (and the usual locations of critters who live in them), they'd be my first choice. Lots of commercial marine traffic around the Gulf Islands (ferries). I've dove some sites around Pt Hardy and have to say it is a photographer's (cold water) paradise. Looking forward to a trip report, regardless of what you pick.

C.

Thanks very much. This is very interesting. Since most liveaboards also offer 3 dives a day, if a resort is offering the same number of dives + surface activities then there is no advantage to being in a boat and paying so much more for not doing anything. Ill be looking more into this.

God's Pocket is utterly wonderful . . . the accomodations are warm and dry and well-appointed, the food is incredible, and the people who run the place are just lovely. The boat has a heated cabin and even has a LIFT for divers! Although I dearly love staying on boats, I can't imagine you'd be as comfortable or as spoiled on a boat as you would be at Bill and Annie's place.

No question Port Hardy if what you are looking for is diving. The Gulf Islands offer a bit more to do otherwise. On the Sewell I would choose PH by a wide margin. Diving Browning Pass from the Sewell you will be closer to the dive sites than God's pocket, but you will be transferring from the Sewell to a smaller boat to go to the dive sites so really the difference is just that you will be travelling 5 or 10 minutes longer if you were to stay at God's Pocket. The Sewell anchors in the Pass, Gods Pocket is on an ajacent island.

Have not done either, but have dived Browning Pass several times. Best cold water diving in BC.

If I were coming here from a long way away to dive I would dive three places. Browning Pass, Quadra Island, and Barkley Sound in that order. With Browning Pass a distant first and the other two pretty much a tie. As much as I like liveaboards I would stay at Gods Pocket for Browning Pass and Rendevous for Barkley Sound - not sure where I would stay for Quadra Island now.

Port Hardy for sure. Gulf Islands are nice but the life at sites like browning wall, 7 tree island, rock of life, crocker rock etc. will blow you away. Only been up there twice but will definitely go again.

Hi, I have been to Port Hardy a number of times. It is one of the few places that I have returned to over the years. I have always done the trip on a liveaboard, the latest trip being the Swell. I have done areas in the Gulf Islands but not in years. From what you describe I would suggest Browning Pass and the only liveaboard doing the trip to my knowledge is the Swell. I can highly recommend that boat and crew. I have looked at doing the area from God's Pocket but to do Browning from their land based operation it is a bit of a boat ride and if the weather doesn't cooperate you may not get to dive the Browning Pass area as much as you should after travelling that far. There is another operation right at Browning Pass in Clam Cove which I have seen and walked around but never used as it is a tad more rustic than I am interested in for my travels. I don't believe there is a liveaboard doing the Gulf Islands this year. You might want to check with the Swell to confirm. There are land based operations that can take you out but in order to see a lot of the Gulf Islands and do some of the better sights like Porlier and Active Pass as well as the wrecks around Sydney and Nanaimo you will probably be travelling by land and staying at different places to cover the area. However and wherever you dive it will be some great diving. Enjoy.

Hello Folks: I am trying to book my first dive trip / liveaboard in BC and I have the choice of either Port Hardy or Gulf islands. Can anyone please give me a comparison of the two places?

Thanks -

Sinbad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom