Gulf-Diving (SPREE/FLING) implement $50 fuel surcharge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
....late breaking news.....SPREE/FLING have been forced to implement an extra $ 50 fuel surcharge on all trips, moreover, if fuel keeps increasing, further surcharges will be forthcoming.

Karl

Don't like it...but certainly understand it. Diesel's gotta be the single biggest operating expense, even before it skyrocketed. Since the FG trips don't require a planeflight, which is also going up in similar ways for similar reasons (the new 'checked luggage charges' are really a weight = fuel surcharge too) I don't see it dropping the appeal of the trip any. Just curious if those of us who've already paid for say the Labor Day trip will get hit with the $20 delta (Fling's surcharge was at $30, included in the price I paid to reserve).

Oh well, that's what, 5 beers? I didn't need the beers anyway.... :wink:

I recieved an e-mail from the capt. yesterday....I have already paid for the trip in Aug and we will have to pay at the boat a $50 surcharge, so I would say yes . Wether your paid or not you will more than likely pay the $50. :( I would rather pay the money to ensure that he is still in businesss next year, a good friend of mine has already closed the doors on his busines, due to high fuel prices.

LOL Rtrski...I like that, fuel surcharge=five beers....:rofl3:. Kind of just fueling the boat instead of the body, huh? :rofl3:.
Everyone has a fuel surcharge these days. Troy is bound and determined to now drive intead of fly anywhere that is 12 hours or less drive time. Not only is fuel at an all time high but it is definitely affecting the food costs as well. I went to the Costco yesterday and bought what i thought was a normal supply of food and supplies for the house and did not add up the prices in my head. I got to the checkout and it was $275! :dork2:I have to start paying better attention.

>SNIP> I would rather pay the money to ensure that he is still in businesss next year, a good friend of mine has already closed the doors on his busines, due to high fuel prices.

I totally agree. That is why Troy and I are committing to travel within the USA this year and more than likely the next 2 or 3 years. I am supporting my local businesses so I can insure they are still here next year. We all need to help each other.

If you've already paid for the trip and then they add on the fuel surcharge, that raises questions of if they should do that to "already paid in full" customers... But me personally I don't think I'd be upset with it. Other choices are "they had to cancel the charter because of rising fuel costs" and that doesn't do anyone any good.

but a $50 fuel surcharge is not that much.

In reality I'm surprised they haven't done it earlier. Maybe they were trying to hold off in hopes the fuel would go back down. Diesel fuel is going to affect every consumer product and almost every activity as most everything comes on diesel trucks as a product.

As for fuel surcharges.... at least they are still going where you paid them to take you. We got charged $100 fuel surcharge on another liveaboard last year for our destination which was a longer than normal trip, then they wouldn't take us there saying "it was too far" after we got on the boat. Note they still charged us a $100 fuel surcharge the night before though. so we got charged extra and they didn't take us where we paid for. go figure.

Troy and I are committing to travel within the USA this year and more than likely the next 2 or 3 years. I am supporting my local businesses so I can insure they are still here next year. We all need to help each other.

We've made the same decision to dive locally and in the US, only taking fly-dive vacations if we can use our frequent flyer miles.

<SNIP>We got charged $100 fuel surcharge on another liveaboard last year for our destination which was a longer than normal trip, then they wouldn't take us there saying "it was too far" after we got on the boat. Note they still charged us a $100 fuel surcharge the night before though. so we got charged extra and they didn't take us where we paid for. go figure.

That's what happened to us on the Cayman Aggressor! $200 Per person fuel surcharge 2.5 years ago and then we barely got away from shore.

I have heard from several other charters that have increased their fee's based on the fuel cost they are paying......not the end I bet for this year either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom