Guiness World Record Most Simultaneous Scuba Divers in Koh Tao!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Have to agree with Vie. I dove Koh Tao for a week or 10 days in 2001. One dive on Chumphon Pinnacle was extremely crowded- at least 5-6 different levels of divers swimming above us like schooling fish. Fortunately we were diving the deepest. Still enjoyed diving there and would return.

Dr. Bill

would recommend people to dive with nagyuan divers, as their island is halfwaybetween mae hadd and chumpon pinnacle they get there quicker. they will go at different times there than the cattle trucks and it's a COMPLETELY different dive site. did some teaching with them and we had the whole dive site to ourselves, me, another instructor and 6 divers!! The sharks come back in colse to the pinnacle when there's less idvers around.

If you dive with anyone else and want to see sharks there which are scared off by arge numbers of divers, you need to get someone who will take you out past the fish traps at the end of barracuda rock. There'll be no other divers here and you will see sharks whichever dive comapny you're with.

I am thinking of heading to koh tao and staying for a while on a (frayed) shoestring and have a couple of questions. Firstly, is it possible to eat cheaply like the locals do (20/30 baht for a meal, rather than 80-100 in the restaurants)? And secondly, how do equipment prices there compare with elsewhere, should I take buy everything I need at home on the internet or in koh tao? Thanks

Lord Lucan:
I am thinking of heading to koh tao and staying for a while on a (frayed) shoestring and have a couple of questions. Firstly, is it possible to eat cheaply like the locals do (20/30 baht for a meal, rather than 80-100 in the restaurants)? And secondly, how do equipment prices there compare with elsewhere, should I take buy everything I need at home on the internet or in koh tao? Thanks
I think you'll find the islands to be quite expensive compared to other parts of thailand. I'd seriously doubt it if you'll find regular meals for 20 baht on koh tao. However, you don't have to spend a fortune either. If you eat western food you'll have to pay for it of course but eating the local food will save you money.

As for dive gear, there are a few shops on the island that sell gear but again it's not cheap either. Everything is at a premium on the islands. I've found that Singapore has some great deals on dive gear so if you're talking about buying an entire kit, it might even be worthwhile to detour there before you hit T-land. If you aren't going to be there long and you plan on doing further travel, you might want to consider renting gear. I only bring my kit if I plan on leaving when the diving is finished.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that was very helpful

I am currently a DM with none of my own equipment and am hoping to become a an instructor once I have got the qualifications I will need. On top of my course and PADI fees I will need to buy my kit and pay to live while I am not working. From where I'm standing this is looking like an expensive game to get into and I'm trying to figure out how I can keep the costs down without compromising too much on quality, and roughly what they'll be. It looks like a shopping trip to Singapore could well be a good plan.

What would a sensible monthly budget be for living expenses on koh tao? I was thinking that 20,000 bht would allow me to live pretty well. Any other advice would, of course, be very much appreciated.

I lived there and worked as a videographer for 8 mths in 02/03 and 20-25.000 bath will cover most, depending on your rent. I paid 6000 a month for a place on top of the postoffice. If you work in KT you will get a discount on equipment in the shops. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom