Guided dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhhhhh……lorenzoid I beg to differ. You make it sound like entry is like a walk on the beach, this is misleading especially for new visitors. Most entries will be made over dead coral and very rough (hence hard soled booties), upon entry there will probably be a “step down” this may be 6 to 18 inches over hard unforgiving coral/rocks not to mention waves that vary due the time of the year. Now once you have geared up and are in 4 to 5 foot water it’s a cake walk, but getting there depending on the dive site may be a challenge. Swim out, go against the usually minimal current, turn and come home. We usually look for a marker on the shore to help guide us home. Bonaire is great…ok fabulous shore diving but entry and exit can be challenging. YMMV Bill

Yes, of course. But this thread is about the benefits of hiring a guide. A guide can only hold your hand so much. I think that except for physically challenged divers, we are all capable of wading over the rough shoreline for a few steps to the sand. I will be the first to admit I have fallen on occasion, but I doubt a guide could have changed that.

Not just hard-soled booties, but a full suit. I have seen people who weren't diving in a full suit with scraped, bleeding knees from these entries/exits. In another thread yesterday I mentioned the benefits of a full suit and was met with replies from the board shorts and rashguard fans. Not the best choice for Bonaire.

Not just hard-soled booties, but a full suit. I have seen people who weren't diving in a full suit with scraped, bleeding knees from these entries/exits. In another thread yesterday I mentioned the benefits of a full suit and was met with replies from the board shorts and rashguard fans. Not the best choice for Bonaire.

I have been slowly coming around to your way of thinking on the full suit; I like the front zip, easy on/off nature of my shorty, and even added a Lavacore skin full 'suit' for sunburn protection, but still got scraped up. I was also in that shorty when I scraped my knees kneeling (we were supposed to!) in the wreck of the Aeolus in the 'shark room' diving out of North Carolina.

I second the stronger footwear. Some iron shore is rough and jagged; I hurt the sole of a foot and had pain for weeks from walking geared up across iron shore at Oil Slick Leap in 'booties.'

I will be the first to admit I have fallen on occasion, but I doubt a guide could have changed that.

Whether it's a guide or buddy, I see one thing that may be helpful. If one of you has more physical 'issues' (e.g.: balance, leg strength, etc...) and it more of a falls risk, let the other step down first, sweep the bottom a bit with his/her foot in case of obvious loose rubble, then hold the hands of the 'challenged' diver as he/she steps down into the water. That could make a real difference.

I don't remember who so I can't give credit, but I'm thinking years back someone on this forum mentioned using a collapsable cane of some sort to aid with getting in and out. I don't know how feasible that is. If you need something like that, I'd consider these recommendations:

1.) Stick to the easy entry/exit sites.
2.) Don't solo shore dive the other sites.
3.) I hear Curacao has some more sandy/easy entry/exit options; the Curacao vs. Bonaire issue has a lot more to it than that, but if you love shore diving yet fear it's going to hurt you, might be worth checking into.

Check out : Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter which gives some information about entry at various sites, written by a local.

For sure there are sites like Buddy Dive's shore reef which is just down a ladder and a few yards out... Other sites can be challenging to enter as has already been said.
We actually enjoyed the Buddy Dive one so much .. we did it 1/2 dozen times and I'd probably love to do it multiple times again when we return.

And for us .. booties always with a 1.5mm suit even in tropical waters. Scratches can easily become more than scratches (infections, etc.) with ocean water and the critters living in it.

I don't remember who so I can't give credit, but I'm thinking years back someone on this forum mentioned using a collapsable cane of some sort to aid with getting in and out. I don't know how feasible that is.

Kevin & Liz Grogan talk about trekking poles in their Bonaire Shore Diving Tips & Tricks video, starting around 6:10. The whole video has good info for those planning a trip.

Another tip I've been given is to not put your BC on until you are out in the water. Instead, carry it low and next to you and use it to support yourself on the loose rocks and surf.

A strong second the Kevin and Liz video for newbs, I think it's them that have made series of videos detailing quite a few of the marked/named sites. Even an experienced visitor can get something out of them even if it's just triggering fond memories.

Back in the day, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy was the only book (or booklet, I should say) on this subject as far as I'm aware, and the early editions had almost no illustrations. Newer books, such as Dive Guide Bonaire, are full of easy to understand illustrations and detailed descriptions. And there are the videos mentioned above. Divers new to Bonaire are very fortunate to have those resources.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom