GUE, UTD or TDI oh my...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend taking it easy... having the experience, knowledge, and skill to conduct safe dives to 250+ feet doesn't happen over night. If you go the GUE route you'll need to pass fundamentals with a technical pass, then Tech 1, then conduct 25 T1 dives, then tech 2. I believe tech 2 takes you to a maximum of 250' if you follow the standards. You also need 200 dives before you can take the class.

I agree... I think I'm leaning towards the GUE standards. I'm not looking to go 200+ft. overnight. I just want the adequate instruction so that when I get to that point I'll be more than ready. I like to be challenged.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Fundies from Guy. And the really cool part of it is that there is a very active DIR diving community in that area, both GUE and UTD trained, with what seems like very little political friction. Just well trained divers doing a bunch of cool dives. So you'd have a good, active bunch of divers to slot in with.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Fundies from Guy. And the really cool part of it is that there is a very active DIR diving community in that area, both GUE and UTD trained, with what seems like very little political friction. Just well trained divers doing a bunch of cool dives. So you'd have a good, active bunch of divers to slot in with.

And that's what really makes the big difference! Good training means nothing if you don't have anyone to dive with that has recieved similar training.

When I started down the tech road, I choose my agency based on the instructor. I took the UTD tech 1 & 2 with Todd Powell and all I can say is that he is an excellent instructor and highly recomend him. There was no love or mercy in his course as he did his best to prepare us for handling the various problems that a dive team can run into. If he could think of it, he threw it at you. He would start out with one problem at a time and then keep adding to them. Needless to say we had fun and learned lots.

Thanks to Todd Powell and Guy Shockley for returning my endless e-mails and calls. I will be making a very informed descision soon. Cheers, John

Well to be fair and also to play Devil's Advocate...what TDI guys have you talked to? To be truly informed you have to include them in your research.

That's a good thing.
Do you know Lenny? I'm interested in knowing the reasons behind your commentary.

Thanks to Todd Powell and Guy Shockley for returning my endless e-mails and calls. I will be making a very informed descision soon. Cheers, John
Todd's a great guy. When I talked to Todd about about tech training he was very open and clear about what to expect and didn't sugarcoat anything. He was also clear that there are other types of tech training (I assumed non-UTD) and IIRC he offered to suggest some names of other instructors if I thought UTD training was not for me. I thought that was pretty decent - everything up in the open and nothing to hide. I don't think he'd withhold any contacts of non-UTD instructors from you if you were to ask him. After all, I agree with what nadwidny said about making informed decisions.

Fireted, I believe, is also TDI and NACD even though his profile only mentions IANTD/NAUI/ANDI/PADI/SSI/CDI/PDIC. He also does rebreather training if you want to eventually head in that direction. He's located in Langley near the mall.

Just across the border, there's Ron Akeson owner of the dive shop adventures down under. He's a marine biologist and also teaches rebreathers. I think several years ago he built his own rebreather. These days he dives a Megalodon with composite tanks.

Those (+Lenny) are the ones I know of the top of my head. If you want more TDI names close to the lower mainland you could send a message to Steve Lewis from TDI. He's usually quick to respond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom