GUE IE classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VR78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone would care to share any feedback on GUE classes (either cave or tech) taught by an instructor candidate under supervision of an IE.
How does student experience in such classes compare to regular ones?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
VR78

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone would care to share any feedback on GUE classes (either cave or tech) taught by an instructor candidate under supervision of an IE.
How does student experience in such classes compare to regular ones?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
VR78
I took Fundies with Meredith Tanguay and Daniel Riordan was there as an IE. Meredith taught the course, and Danny sat in the back and watched. Most of their consulting was done one on one away from us, but occasionally if we struggled to get something with Meredith's teaching, Danny would demonstrate his way of explaining it to the student, most often this was for in water skills. A few areas Danny would give a story relevant to what Meredith was teaching, and when it came to some of the one on one stuff he helped a little bit to ensure we could get things knocked out fast before afternoon storms.

Is there something you have a specific concern about?

By "sat" you meant "hovered"? )

No specific concerns, no, just wondering if there might be too many things going on. Thinking about my own Fundies experience I just can't imagine an extra layer of complexity. There was enough mayhem and chaos as it was.

It's fine.

The instructor isn't going to let the candidate teach a poor class or miss out on anything. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you got a better class because of it. Plus, exposure to multiple instructors is a good thing. Even though there is a "candidate" teaching, they're nearly always extremely well versed in gue diving and have a bunch of experience.

Is Mer still planning to do her cave 1 class in January?
Yes, in Feb.

You get the best of both, in my experience. You have a rock-solid instructor candidate trying their utmost to produce quality divers. You also have a very experienced, usually very intuitive instructor examiner observing and using their expertise to enhance what the instructor candidate presented, and some one-on-one guidance to help you overcome any challenges and further your skills.

In my case, I had Heison Chak, an instructor candidate at the time, with two instructor examiners, Bob Sherwood and Gideon Liew. What a challenging but awesome experience!

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was about any GUE classes, my apologies.

I took Cave 1 in January (2015) and Mer was interning. It was fine and she did a great job, actually added to the class in my opinion. 2 experienced GUE divers for the price of 1!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom