Guanaja - Posada Del Sol - just got back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabo

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from 9 days at Posada Del Sol on the island of Guanaja. I have been to far more remote hotels before, but none that felt so isolated. The hotel regularly ran out of beer and diet coke and it was always around noon the next day before they took a boat to the small town to try and get more.

The property is really nice and the people are just fantastic. There aren't any phones, radios, TVs so unless you hike/fish/dive there isn't anything to do and no where to go. There are no roads and the closest town (mainly on stilts over the water) is 15minutes by boat.

For the first 2 days, we had the hotel to ourselves as we were the only guests. This was great for the diving since it was just me and the divemaster on the 42' dive boat. The dives were close and mainly wall dives < 100'. We did dive the Jado Trader, a 240'+ shipwreck that was at 110' but that was the deepest we went. I expected to see seahorses like I had seen in Roatan 7 years ago but the divemaster said they weren't seen much. Also, we didn't see many big fish other than a few groupers and a couple nurse sharks.

It was a good trip and we loved the staff, but I doubt if I'd go back to Guanaja. There wasn't anything special about the diving that would draw me back. It was good but nothing special.

By the way, we used Roatan Charters (pat) for our in-Honduras arrangements and it was flawless. If I go back to Honduras, I would use them again.

Here are some underwater pics taken with the S400 or S500.
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=400065
Here are some pics of the hotel and island:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=400165

Glad you posted. I was curious if the hotel was still open. Since hurricane Mitch I hadn't heard much about it. Your topside pictures looked as if the hotel was worn. Is this the case? Other than the diet cokes and beer being in short supply were the rooms and food ok. :06: The dive boat looked very nice especially since you had it to yourself how great is that.

Hotel was a bit worn but not bad at all. Some new wood on the deck and some paint would make a huge difference. We had a hillside room and it was fine. Worn..sure but we were happy with it. There weren't bugs in the room and everything worked.

The food was fine. If you tell them you're a vegetarian before you get there, they can accomodate you. Other than that you don't really have options. Pancakes or eggs for breakfast but lunch/supper was just brought to you. They were both full meals: bread/salad/fruit, entree and dessert. There were things I didn't like (I'm kind of a picky eater), but they all were prepared well. No complaints about the food.

Really I only had very minor complaints, no big deal. I would just try someplace new before this came up on my list of places to return to.

One day, they took the entire hotel (10 guests, 4 staff) to the other side of the island for a picnic. The boat stopped on some reef a long..long way from shore and the divers got in and then boat left us to take the others to shore. I didn't think there was much chance the boat would be close when we came up at the other end of the dive but it was within 100' or so... Not bad.

parrotheaddiver:
Glad you posted. I was curious if the hotel was still open. Since hurricane Mitch I hadn't heard much about it. Your topside pictures looked as if the hotel was worn. Is this the case? Other than the diet cokes and beer being in short supply were the rooms and food ok. :06: The dive boat looked very nice especially since you had it to yourself how great is that.

Back
Top Bottom