Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very congested and expensive your typical tropical tourist trap. Your best bet would be MAUI less expensive, more quiet, more romantic.

I like Guam over Hawaii just because it's smaller and not crowded

Speaking of Hawaii, what's the best deal for someone who's going to be there TDY for 2 weeks. I've been to Hickam plenty of time but this is he first time I'll actually have time off to dive.

Guam_Diver -

Sorry you are not enjoying Guam very much. I was there 10 years ago. We had 5 typhoons in 6 weeks, and the infrastructure was not much better. We also had an 8.2 earthquake that lasted over a minute. I was climbing MT Fuji at the time, but I came back to the mess...and once again no power and no water. As I remember, but first 10 months there I felt like you do. Then I extended for a school I wanted, and decided I needed to change my attitude. I got the school I wanted, but still didn't want to leave the Island! Anyway, it could get better, and the diving is great.

Not ALL of Oahu is a tourist trap. You need to get away from Wakiki and the Pearl Harbor area.

Ben_ca, try Ocean Concepts for diving on Oahu. They have shops on Camp Smith and Kanehoe MCB's. They are also a little less expensive than some of the others. Down side is, I think they only offer dives on the leeward side of the island.

For Ben ca, I went to Hawaii last year for a conference. Stayed in the Hale Koa, the military resort which is where you are probably staying. It is awesome, right on Waikiki next to the Hilton. I loved it. Dove with Ocean concepts which give a military discount. Diving was still expensive there but pretty good. We spent a week on the Big Island and liked the diving and lifestyle there much better. If you have a weekend off fly over to Kona and dive with Jack's Dive Locker. They were really great and take video that you can buy. They set it to music and label the fish that are showing so it's a good buy. I think I paid $35 for a video we will treasure. And the diving was much better too. Have fun! My dermatologist just got back, he doesn't dive but still had lots of fun.

BEACHBUM885 once bubbled...
It is very congested and expensive your typical tropical tourist trap. Your best bet would be MAUI less expensive, more quiet, more romantic.

Actually, Maui is not that much (if at all) cheaper than living on/visiting Oahu. It is pretty comparable, except that maybe gas on the neighbor islands is a little more expensive. Maui is quieter though. Living on Maui is much more relaxed and laid back, but then that doesn't do tracydr's desire to be close to the military bases any good.

Oahu is pretty congested and there's always traffic - but you get used to it. While the number of cars on Maui is definitely less, the highway system is also much smaller - meaning a lot of 2 lane highways. You get a couple slow moving cars or large truck, and you are moving like a snail.

Although I am not military, I dive almost always with Ocean Concepts (excellent dive club benefits) - they are very organized, efficient and friendly. I believe that in the winter months (or upon request w/an appropriate number of divers) they will dive on the south side of the island. Otherwise, they do only dive on the west side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom