Guam diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrossle

New
Reaction score
I have a few days stopover in Guam this summer. Any suggestions about dive operators and/or hotels?

the shop I dived with there got blown away by the typoons last year. There are a few residents that hang about here though so maybe they could help. I would stay down town - it may be more expensive but taxis are real expensive out there, I guess only Japanese tourists use them. The one time I did take a taxi the drive even spoke to me in Japanese first - OK I live there but I am English!

I would not bother with Blue Hole but there are some good wrecks in the harbour. There is a nice drift (can't remember the name) which ends up at Blue Hole - much better than just diving the hole!

Enjoy
Jonathan

jcrossle once bubbled...
I have a few days stopover in Guam this summer. Any suggestions about dive operators and/or hotels?

MDA seemed to be the shop of choice of the residents in the early '90's and I've seen it mentioned often since then.

J
The 2 main dive shops here in Guam are Micronesian Divers Association (MDA) and Guam Tropical Dive Station (GTDS). There are a few others but they mainly cater to the Japenese tourist. Although we've only been certified a few months and cannot give you a expert opinion. We have dealt with both shops and find them both customer friendly. MDA has 2 stores, 1 on the main highway and 1 on the Navy base. GTDS also has 2 stores, 1 on the main highway and 1 on the Air Force Base. The only advantage of one over the other is MDA has locations closer to dive sites. I'm sure there will be a few others folks who have been diving longer who will be able to give you some more info.

tnk

MDA owns their own boats. My one experience with GTS was that they did not. The boat they had "rented" had taken reservations from several other places as well as MDA's. Seems one of the hotels got their days mixed up and showed up the wrong day (the day I was scheduled). The boat owner wouldn't turn them away, so there were about 20 more people than should have been on the boat.

So, I say MDA. Also, recommend you NOT reserve through a hotel. Get a rental car, and go reserve in person and ask for local rates. I think the hotel rates are MUCH higher.

But, whoever you go with, the diving on Guam is GREAT. Enjoy.

I just got back from Guam a couple months ago. The above posts are correct in that MDA and GTDS are the only feasible options for english speaking tourists. GTDS uses MDA's boats as do most of the other shops. Because of this I decided to just dive with MDA. The prices weren't that bad. I was not impressed with the shop however. On ALL the dives I went on, there was nothing but problems. Shop didn't bring gear or tanks that has been promised to multiple divers. Dive sites were changed on the fly. Wrong mixes in tanks. Just a miserable expierence.

Hope that you have better luck than I. Not too many options.

As others have been saying, MDA and GTDS are the two main options, both have at least 3 boats I think. Dives are pretty cheap, around $25 for 2 tank. They have morning 2 tanks everyday and usually 1 or 2 afternoon dives. I personally like GTDS, their boat Scuba Roo is pretty big and comfortable, but then again, there will be a lot of other divers on the boat but i haven't had any problems as far as being crowded.

Almost eighteen years ago I was a staff instructor with Micronesian Divers Association on Guam. Pete Peterson owned the place then. It was then, and no doubt continues to be, a remarkable place. I've no knowledge of their competitor, who may also be a quality outfit. In general I think that if you contact them in advance and tell them what you're looking for, when you're there, what type of diving you enjoy, etc. they will make every effort to provide you with superior diving experiences. There is an incredibly diverse array of diving around the island.

Contact them via email or phone via this website:

http://www.mdaguam.com/

Hope this helps, and enjoy Guam diving!

Doc

Back
Top Bottom