Grumpy Lings at Porteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well at least it wasn't your glove.

I love this sport!!

This is hilarious ... I was diving the Granthall two weeks ago and ran into the same grumpy Ling. I was dropping into the holds [pictured above by deepdiverbc] and that Ling was all over me ... trying to bite me ... making quick passes at my head. I basically couldn't go anywhere near the holds on the topside of the Granthall. Every time I turned around it was speeding towards me, mouth open ... ready to kick some a$$. The really funny part was that my two mates weren't targeted at all. What gives? I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me.

You were probably closest to the egg mass and so the lingcod gave you full attention. How big was he?

have they tamed at all as of todays date? March 22? they freak me out when they are aggressive after a few close calls. I'd rather see them when they are not guarding the eggs.

You were probably closest to the egg mass and so the lingcod gave you full attention. How big was he?

He wasn't that big ... probably 24". The ling pictured at the beginning of the thread is probably the same one! I believe that's the holds of the Granthall in the background. My buddies were close aboard; he only wanted a piece of me. He was nipping at my fins and following me around - pretty harmless really. We also saw some very big lings [36" at least] on the Nakaya, but they were not aggressive at all.

Les, r2t and I dove Porteau yesterday but vis was so bad we didn't see much of anything. Current going against the waves combined with very low tide gave us about five to ten feet. The one ling I noticed seemed surprised to see us.

I dove Porteau on Saturday and noticed that the vis gets a lot worse with the incoming tide. It brought in a lot of junk/snot/goop etc (Techincal terms for what I think is spawn material). Not very pleasant stuff to dive in.

If you dive a low slack time the dive to end before the tide comes in.

I dove Porteau on Saturday and noticed that the vis gets a lot worse with the incoming tide. It brought in a lot of junk/snot/goop etc (Techincal terms for what I think is spawn material). Not very pleasant stuff to dive in.

If you dive a low slack time the dive to end before the tide comes in.

Yeah. It's gross. It was pretty good on the nakaya though - but couldn't see crap on the descent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom