Groupers, Crab & Stingray off Costa Maya & Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Had a cruise & hit Costa Maya on 1-18-11 (dove with Dream Time Diving, the ship's contracted operator, in Costa Maya & had fun; dove with Jeremy Anschel & Living Underwater in Cozumel & had a great time with them - strongly recommend Living Underwater! They had the big 120 cf steel tanks!!!).

In Costa Maya at Dos Ojos ('Two Eyes') dive site, I saw a really big grouper; maybe 4 feet long. This is the fellow, & I'd like to know what he is.

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

This grouper in Cozumel at the Santa Rosa site I was told is a Black Grouper. I post it here because it's probably used to being fed by divers & swam to us & close enough that I think I could've touched it.

IMG_7220.jpg

But what kind of grouper in Cozumel is this one? (We also dove Palancar Gardens; not sure which of the 2 sites it was at).

IMG_7292.jpg

This large (perhaps bigger body than a softball, smaller than a foot ball) crab was at Palancar Gardens, but what kind is it?

IMG_7129.jpg

And what kind of ray at Palancar Gardens is this? Maybe a bit smaller than a frying pan?

IMG_0675.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

First 3 groupers are Blacks. Individuals can change color -- you captured both light & dark phases. Black groupers are easy to ID by the wide black bands on the fins and blocky patterns.
The other grouper is a Yellowfin, so named due to yellow on the pectoral fin.
The ray is a Yellow Stingray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom