Group Travel: Points of Contention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelling with a group is a problem sometimes. Yellow hummers....forget it. My kids would never talk to me again. I don't think I would ever talk to me again and I talk to myself all the time. :D

I travel most often by myself and have had few if any problems. On dive trips I wind up getting adopted by others so I do have someone to hang with. On non dive trips I often have hooked up with others too. The problem in groups can be some are not as adventurous as others. When I'm in groups that like to eat say in the chain restaurants I often ask if they mind if go off on my own. Not been a problem and often someone comes with to look out for me. :wink: Usually we're the ones who have the better, cheaper bigger meal.

I do compromise if I'm with a group and hope everybody does too. On the couple of liveaboards I've done the people so far have been nothing short of wonderful. Everyone has tried to be accomodating to each other so everyone has a great time. I know this isn't always the case but I like to travel so I'll deal with problems if and when they arise.

My dive club had a troll--uh, I mean, woman--join one of our trips who was one of the strangest individuals I have ever met. Of course, she ended up being my roommate. The first night she turned off the AC in the middle of the night and failed to open the windows (in Honduras in April). Her next trick was to set the alarm at 5 AM "to go to the bathroom". Sure enough, at 5:00, the alarm kept ringing while she was in the bathroom. She also thought I should get her coffee first thing in the morning so she could sit on the porch and read until breakfast. Things got much worse.

In a matter of two days she had managed to alienate 14 people including the DM and boat captain. It was tempting not to push her off the boat. I ended up bunking in with one of the guys who had an extra bed in his room. I think it would have been appropriate to strap her into a yellow Hummer and send her off to sea.

And What's Wrong With A Yellow Hummer?

Hummer: Big, Roomy, Comfortable, You Get Respect From Other Drivers, (screw the gas mileage)

Yellow: High Visability

I'll take one any time

Jim

If you are going to be in Hawaii, why rent a hummer? I'd much rather prefer to go topless.

catherine96821:
...exactly. But being seen in a Hummer is even worse. (isn't it?)

Ask JB.

... Actually, I agree. Hummers are fine for military use, but I can see little or no reason for civilian use. They are near the epitome of pretentiousness.

in sydney you would be screwed with a hummer.... its hard enough trying to find a parking space let alone the 2 or 4 that you need to park that thing!

and NOTHING is wrong with yellow........ i like yellow :multi:

The model and color of the car we rent ? Couldn't care less. The dive operator ? Now I have an opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom