grounds keeper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zds3488

Reaction score
is there ANYONE who knows anything about the "grounds keeper". i am scheduled to go out in late august on it and was looking for a website, or even a phone number for the charter. is this a nice boat if anyone has ever been on it?

You may want to post over at spearboard.com and PM member Financial Advis. He is the Capt. of this vessel and a very knowledgeable and personable guy.
I have not personally been on this boat but have heard some real good stories on the fish they put you on. It's not the fastest boat in the world, but Chris does put out quite a spread. You will NOT go hungry.

You defintely ought to go to spearboard, its got all the info you need including the pics from their last trip. Some great shots of the Coast Guard cruiser which towed them in from 75 miles out. From what I hear its a pretty regular occurence. The good news is if you get towed the trip home is shorter than normal cruising speed. Its not called the "Grounds Creeper" for nothing.

BradB once bubbled...
From what I hear its a pretty regular occurence.

"Regular occurrence" may be a bit strong.

Check out Spearboard and check out Chris's reports. he will put you on the fish!

It's located by the John's Pass Bridge. No web site (that I know of), but as mentioned above, you can find more info at www.spearboard.com

The boat is nothing fancy, normal trip to the middle grounds takes it about 8-10 hours, speed is such that you can troll the entire trip, food is excellent, they will put you on some great dive spots. If I remember correct (I've dove with them), you bring 8 tanks per person, and dive all you can handle. Fish or sleep at night.

If you find you can't make it, let me know, and I'll take your spot:D

Most of the diving is probably between 80'-120', you should be diving Nitrox (diving air will limit your bottom times), and I think a dive alert is mandatory (and DAN should be if it's not).

Drop me a PM if you have more questions, I highly recommend the trip.

rusty

Did not really mean to dis the Creeper, I have heard very good things about it and the fish they produce.. So I will correct my post to "several times"as opposed to "pretty regular occurence". I have been to the Grounds four times on another boat and if I ever go again it will probably be on the Creeper cause my last trip out was what we used to describe in my Marine Corps days as a "cluster flock" or FUBAR.

I've been on at least six different boats going to the grounds, and go about once a week on one of them. The Creeper is the cheapest and allows the most tanks, but has other issues. I personally like the extra tanks and can rough it a little. I've always been put on good fish on the creeper and thats the important part to me. You'll have fun just go with an open mind.

P.s. Boats been towed twice in 3 years that I know of, not bad considering the amount of trips done.

bubblejunkie once bubbled...
SNIP... I've always been put on good fish on the creeper and thats the important part to me.
This has been my "play with camera" season, and I keep saying that next season will be my "play with food" time. I know nothing about hunting. Sounds like there are dedicated trips for hunting vs. sightseeing. What can you tell us about hunting here?

Middlegrounds Spearfishing is some of the best in the world when you get ready to go I'll send you in the right direction based on your needs and diving habits. I just came back with a 40 pound yellowfin grouper and several 15 + pound hogs. Simply the best spearfishing in the world I've been told

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom