GRI still open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone patiently waiting over 6 months for a refund (extremely patiently), due to Amex chargeback issues from Bonaire. I would like to suggest something called "Paypal".

I was hoping to at least get my money back before GRI changed hands. We had such a good time, it's a shame the billing issues taint that memory.

As someone patiently waiting over 6 months for a refund (extremely patiently), due to Amex chargeback issues from Bonaire. I would like to suggest something called "Paypal".

I was hoping to at least get my money back before GRI changed hands. We had such a good time, it's a shame the billing issues taint that memory.

I'm not sure what kind of a "refund" for a "charge back" you are looking for, since you say you had a good time there, but I read that as of 1/1/2011 none of the banks on Bonaire are providing Administrative Support for AMEX. I'm not exactly sure what that means. I checked on BonaireTalk and read that AMEX is still accepted, but if there are any questions or concerns about a bill, that no bank on Bonaire will assist.

I've had poor experience getting PayPal to help with a problem. The best bet is to challenge the charge with the Credit Card company. Of course, this is best done before you pay the erroneous charge.

It might be that Liz can no longer do anything about this on her end? :idk: AFAIK Liz is still in the states undergoing med eval.

I'm not sure Amex support is really needed. I paid for a stay for 2 on Amex, while there, Liz charged the second person for their share of the stay and said she would chargeback half of what I paid.

We get back from Bonaire (August), nothing has posted. More time goes by, no chargeback posted. Alert Liz, get get no replies. Consider disputing the charge. My dive buddy and I liked it so much though, we want to go back to Bonaire. We aren't sure what the problem is (maybe they were out of money?), so we offered to come back for them to take the money off our next stay. My dive buddy pings Liz, she apologizes and says she got errors trying to chargeback via Amex (hello? send me a paypal or a check, there's other ways to pay). Trying to get this agreed to drug out over months until the dispute period was over for both our credit cards.

I don't know what the issues are down there, but there was a dutch finance/accountant person working for Liz when we were there. There are multiple ways to pay a person money owed. Liz and her husband were such nice people that you don't want to be mean or anything, especially after hearing about her health issues.

Last edited:
I am presently on Bonaire and just charged my car rental using AMEX so I question anyone saying the banks will not support AMEX. I understand one rental agency is saying that but I wonder if that is just to get customers to pay for their daily insurance which is, I'm sure is a real money maker for them.

Having been a former client of GRI, I went by there this week. Very quiet, no one around, pool half empty, a bit neglected looking. We ran into a former employee elsewhere on the island and were told GRI was shut down. Others have told us that it is mainly rented as long term to medical students now. We were sure glad we had not paid a deposit for a stay there.

We were sure glad we had not paid a deposit for a stay there.

I'm putting down a deposit at Den Laman and planning on having a great time in Bonaire again in May.

Lesson learned, when a merchant doesn't settle their debt to you, give them 2 weeks and then let Amex/Visa settle it with them. I'm out 735 dollars unless I want to file a small claims in New Jersey.

That really sucks. On the bright side, you'll be spoiled by Den Laman and might not have had that opportunity were it not for your GRI experience.

Note: the GRI web site is now down. To anyone else that Liz and her husband stiffed on money, your quest is now over (unless New Jersey small claims court can recover it, might be worth looking into).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom