Grey Whale(s) near Squamish river...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if its a good thing when a whale heads for an estuary?? But at least everyone gets a closer look.

Apparently they saw a gray whale under the Granville bridge today around noon! Geez! I was right there looking at a seal at 11:30! I could have seen it from my condo window too! Now I keep looking out my window to see if he will be back.

Hmm, maybe I should try a dive out my front door into False Creek! I guess it might be a bit dangerous with all that boat traffic, but I am curious to see what's there.

Attachments

• granville bridge.jpg
    granville bridge.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54
An instructor once told me that it's illegal to scuba in Stanley Park. You could freedive but not scuba. I do not know if the restriction extends into false creek. I can see how they would want to limit scuba / big container ship encounters at least with all the traffic in the Burrard inlet. Also the Burrard inlet entrance at Stanley Park does not seem like a nice place for negotiating tidal currents.

Last edited:
Apparently the grey whale was seen again in False Creek this morning, according to the TV news. I keep looking out my window, but haven't spotted it yet. If I do, I might be tempted to run out in my dry suit with mask, snorkel, fins; and jump into False Creek!

When I used to live in Beach Ave. I would snorkel in there all the time. Nobody gave me any trouble whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom