Greetings from Xcalak Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XcalakSteve

Reaction score
Xcalak Mexico Caribbean coast near Belize
My first post on this board. I am in Xcalak Mexico. Thats on the Caribbean coast just before the Belize border. Here is one from the dive site La Poza. Every summer we get a school of several hundred Tarpon, most in the 4 to 6 foot range. The Tarpon in the foreground is about a 5 footer.

original.jpg

In the winter the larger Tarpon leave but we still have a pretty impresive school of 2 to 3 footers.

Steve

Great pic, Steve. Welcome to the board. Is that pronounced Ishkalak?

Thanks Guys! The picture just doesent do justice to this site. On a good day you are surrounded be hundreds of Tarpon swirling around you. Its like a silver tornado. One of the coolest dives I have done.
Its pronounced as either ish-ka-lack or just ska-lack. The locals use both pronunciations equally. We are still at the end of the road in a quiet corner of Mexico. If you are tired of the crowds, this is the place to be.
Steve

original.jpg

MORE PICS! MORE PICS! MORE PICS!

Wondering, does the resort you work for do any transfers from the Cancun airport?

That would be one hell of a transfer - wouldn't it? I would think, if my memory serves me correctly, that it would be wisest to fly to Chetumal.

BTW - gorgeous photographs. Thanks for sharing them!

The best way to get here is through Cancun. To fly to Chetumal you would need to change planes in Mexico City which is going to add a lot of travel time to your trip. With groups we can arrange transportation but most people just rent a car. Its about 250 miles on good road. Driving down here isnt that bad. Rush hour in Houston is a lot worse!! Takes about 4.5 to 5 hours total to drive and Chet is a 2.5 hour drive. And having a car lets you do alot more exploring. Lots of ruins between here and Cancun.

We would be more then happy to help with the travel arrangments.

original.jpg

See ya!
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom