Greetings from SEALAB author Ben Hellwarth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now looking forward to more introductions and greetings - but in person and in Chicago at Our World-Underwater, where I've just been scheduled to give a presentation about SEALAB on Saturday, Feb. 16, and Sunday, Feb. 17. I'm honored to be included among the speakers and to be part of this venerable dive show. Plus I hear Chicago is lovely at this time of year. . .

Happy 95th birthday to Capt. Walter Mazzone, whose work in the U.S. Navy as George Bond's right-hand man not only made SEALAB possible, but significantly advanced the science and medicine of diving. Mazzone was also part of some historic, harrowing World War II submarine patrols, by the way. He's pictured here a half-century ago, back in the early experimental days of SEALAB . . .
. 4MazzoneMug.jpg

Thanks to everyone who came to hear me speak about Sealab at Our World - Underwater ! Always fun to share the rare audio and video clips and of course have a chance to meet. So thanks to those who stopped by the book signing table, too! Great crowd and great event....

Just picked up this special Nat Geo exploration issue and in the "Sea" section there's William Beebe and his bathysphere, the deep dive of the U.S. Navy bathyscaphe Trieste and a nice spread on Jacques Cousteau - but not a word (or picture) about SEALAB... So I guess it's good timing that I'll be giving the SEALAB divers their due during my seminar this Sunday at Scuba Show 2013 in Long Beach. I'll also be signing books at the Historical Diving Society booth on Saturday and Sunday, as noted on my website, so I hope to greet some of you there. . .
NatGeo05-2013.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom