Greetings from NYC! And a question for residents...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yumbbq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! I've been living in the city for about 2.5 years, but only vacation dive. For all the locals, is it worth diving in the north east? What type of wetsuit thickness is recommended for Spring and Summer dives?

I shore dive there every summer. I hear there are charters off the LI South Shore but they book up quickly. There are 2-3 OK shore dives in N. NJ. A few decent shore dives on LI if you can find a place to legally park as a non resident of the area. Quite a few CT shore sites, but most shallow (12'?) and not much to see. Many go up to Cape Anne N. of Boston--there are charters there ("C.Anne Divers"?), which I've heard are excellent. And some shore diving there.
A good place to google is NY (-NJ?) Beach diving or Shore Diving--something like that. They have maps, pictures, etc.
An excellent shop is Scuba New York on Central Ave. in Yonkers. They can give you some good tips. You may also want to check out the Dive NY sub forum (think you have to join).

Last edited:
+1 Cape Ann Charters out of Gloucester http://divedaybreaker.com/. Great crew, boat, and dives. I was there in September, the water is quite chilly, 47-52 degrees. About my limit for diving wet but worth every minute. I dove with a local, made it special, particularly, the lobster dinner

Cape Ann divers for scallop, lobster or seal viewing dives. Also giant stride in Warwick RI for deeper shipwreck dives. especially that Uboat off Block Island RI. But it is deep, and is something wreck divers work up to.

Diving out on Long Island is fantastic and there are plenty of shore diving spots. The local wreck diving is also world class.

Hit me up if you want some info. I dive year round in the northeast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom