Greetings from New Jersey (USA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

Been lurking ever since I got my NAUI basic cert back in the summer... yeah, it takes me awhile to join an online community.

I guess I should do the customary thing and tell a bit about me. This may take awhile. :dork2:

Decided to try out SCUBA after a recent deployment, certainly glad I did. Words can not describe the experience, but I certainly don't need to tell you all that.

Active Duty Air Force; Currently stationed in central New Jersey
Favorite Jersey dive shop (so far) is The Scuba Connection, just north of Princeton on Rt 206
Done quite a bit of diving up at Dutch Springs, PA.

Even though I'm NAUI basic, I plan to do some more bouyancy control/kick/trim courses, followed by advanced certification, then maybe ... who knows, technical training or GUE or a million other things I want to get into!
End goal is technical, wreck, some photography, and maybe even cave diving.
I'll save the reef diving for the sparse vacation, simply because I live in the Northeast right now.

Currently use a BP/W setup; Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing, Diverite SS plate, Diverite Hogarthian harness, Diverite STA/straps/etc
Diving wet (7/5), drysuit in the... future.

I guess I tend to use quite a few DIR principles setting up my gear, I read up on both viewpoints and a lot of the DIR stuff makes sense and works well for me. Only thing I don't agree with is why they don't like pony bottles. That and some of the guys acting like jerks to everyone else.
I do understand that I am NEW (less than a year diving as of now), so I'm sure that my opinions and gear may tweak a bit.
I am not a closed-minded "don't dive with strokes or people that wear jackets blarrrghhh" kind of person. Just wanted to throw that out there because I've seen some nasty e-fights about that crap. I was hearing about it before I got my rating or even knew what those terms meant, haha.
And yes, I did try out conventional gear, so to speak. Probe and Excursion (Oceanic) BCs, both hastily returned.

Outside of diving, I love flying. Mainly sailplanes; there are few things that can compare with soaring around for 8 hours on a beautiful day, not burning a drop of fuel in the process (save for the initial 5 minute tow). Screaming along the ridges along the Delaware water gap; riding thermals near the shore, seeing the NYC lights as dusk nears. I am a huge fan of aerobatics as well.
I'll also fly just about everything else. Ultralights, hang-gliders, powered general aviation (Cessnas, Pipers, etc - working on my single-engine-land private certificate), parachutes (I have been known to leap from perfectly fine aircraft so to speak), and even the occasional hitch on one of my jets (KC-10A) where I'll spend the whole mission up front unofficially "helping out," hehe.

As a profession, I am a USAF aircraft mechanic. Currently jumping into the NCO tier, as well as retraining to be USAF flight crew (wooohoo!).

I know that's a lot for 21, but life is way too short to be boring.

So, I hope that was enough info. I can't get too personal due to security reasons.
Anyone in the Jersey area who wants to get together or just has questions can PM me anytime of course!

I promise I don't talk this much normally. Or maybe I do.

Hey all!

Been lurking ever since I got my NAUI basic cert back in the summer... yeah, it takes me awhile to join an online community.

I guess I should do the customary thing and tell a bit about me. This may take awhile. :dork2:

Decided to try out SCUBA after a recent deployment, certainly glad I did. Words can not describe the experience, but I certainly don't need to tell you all that.

Active Duty Air Force; Currently stationed in central New Jersey
Favorite Jersey dive shop (so far) is The Scuba Connection, just north of Princeton on Rt 206
Done quite a bit of diving up at Dutch Springs, PA.

Even though I'm NAUI basic, I plan to do some more bouyancy control/kick/trim courses, followed by advanced certification, then maybe ... who knows, technical training or GUE or a million other things I want to get into!
End goal is technical, wreck, some photography, and maybe even cave diving.
I'll save the reef diving for the sparse vacation, simply because I live in the Northeast right now.

Currently use a BP/W setup; Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing, Diverite SS plate, Diverite Hogarthian harness, Diverite STA/straps/etc
Diving wet (7/5), drysuit in the... future.

I guess I tend to use quite a few DIR principles setting up my gear, I read up on both viewpoints and a lot of the DIR stuff makes sense and works well for me. Only thing I don't agree with is why they don't like pony bottles. I do understand that I am NEW (less than a year diving as of now), so I'm sure that my opinions and gear may tweak a bit.
I am not a closed-minded "don't dive with strokes or people that wear jackets blarrrghhh" kind of person. Just wanted to throw that out there because I've seen some nasty e-fights about that crap. I was hearing about it before I got my rating or even knew what those terms meant, haha.
And yes, I did try out conventional gear, so to speak. Probe and Excursion (Oceanic) BCs, both hastily returned.

Outside of diving, I love flying. Mainly sailplanes; there are few things that can compare with soaring around for 8 hours on a beautiful day, not burning a drop of fuel in the process (save for the initial 5 minute tow). Screaming along the ridges along the Delaware water gap; riding thermals near the shore, seeing the NYC lights as dusk nears. I am a huge fan of aerobatics as well.
I'll also fly just about everything else. Ultralights, hang-gliders, powered general aviation (Cessnas, Pipers, etc - working on my single-engine-land private certificate), parachutes (I have been known to leap from perfectly fine aircraft so to speak), and even the occasional hitch on one of my jets (KC-10A) where I'll spend the whole mission up front unofficially "helping out," hehe.

As a profession, I am a USAF aircraft mechanic. Currently jumping into the NCO tier, as well as retraining to be USAF flight crew (wooohoo!).

I know that's a lot for 21, but life is way too short to be boring.

So, I hope that was enough info. I can't get too personal due to security reasons.
Anyone in the Jersey area who wants to get together or just has questions can PM me anytime of course!

I promise I don't talk this much normally. Or maybe I do.

Hi McGuire gas-passer weenie,
Welcome to the board. I particulary liked this: "That and some of the guys acting like jerks to everyone else." You've gleaned the essence of online wheat/chaff separating from the get-go. And, Ponies are very appropriate at times-don't let the elitists brainwash you.) BTW, are you a Blairstown or Erwinna or ??? soarer? There's a boat in Barnegat Light that's as good or better than any in NJ; The Dina Dee. Short drive from WRI. Google it. You can thank me later.
Have fun,
Shack

Mainly been flying at Blairstown as of late. Great operation there. I stopped flying for the winter of course. Well, that, and also because I spent all my money on gear, so whenever it warms up I can get back to flying and diving.
For powered flying, I mainly do Flying W (N14) and South Jersey Regional (VAY).
Skydiving at Cross Keys (17N).

Heard of the Dina Dee once before, but since you mentioned it I'll check it out.
Update: you're talking about the Dina Dee II right? Or did I search for it wrong...

Welcome to SB from a fellow NJ diver!

I think we may have met at The Scuba Connection a couple of weeks ago...I was filling my tanks and one of the shop guys pointed out my stage and deco bottle set ups to you? (Vaguely recall you talking to them about flying, etc.)

While all the boats in NJ are great, I'm a bit biased when it comes to recommended a dive boat in NJ.

:eyebrow:

Come out and dive with us sometime - TSC does many of their charters with us.

Ray

Mainly been flying at Blairstown as of late. Great operation there. I stopped flying for the winter of course. Well, that, and also because I spent all my money on gear, so whenever it warms up I can get back to flying and diving.
For powered flying, I mainly do Flying W (N14) and South Jersey Regional (VAY).
Skydiving at Cross Keys (17N).

Heard of the Dina Dee once before, but since you mentioned it I'll check it out.
Update: you're talking about the Dina Dee II right? Or did I search for it wrong...

You're right; www.dinadee.com Been on most of the boats between Brielle and Cape May and D.D. is on the short list. And I have absolutely no affiliation with it.
I soloed at Cross Keys as a kid in 1973, a little before your time. They had jumpers there then also. Used to do most of my eastern U.S. soaring at Van Sant in Erwinna. Awaiting a tug one day I saw a glider do a "go-around," I mean completely, in the vertical! Very impressive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom