Greetings from London

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOut of interest, no one says what differences there will be though?!

I've never been diving in England but I hear it is cold water diving. In the Caribbean (Cuba) the water is warmer. When I first started diving in the Caribbean I wore a shirt and swimming trunks. As I got better at diving I moved around less and got cold easier but even then I tend to wear a 2mm or 3mm wetsuit and no hood. A wetsuit this thin is easy to move around in. The water temperature was typically 21C to 27C. I had no gloves on.

When I started diving in Canada the water was a lot colder. It got as up to 23C for a week or two but most the time it was between 7C and 15C. This meant I had to wear a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm tunic and 5mm gloves plus a hood. Equalizing my ears with a hood on was more difficult. Manipulating my gear with 5mm gloves on was a lot harder. Also, moving around with 14mm of neoprene on my core and 7mm on my arms and legs made moving a lot harder.

One of the biggest tricks is take your time. With this much exposure protection on you can overheat really fast when out of the water. So slow and steady is the way to go. Also, some people find being so restricted, having your ears covered, etc. a little weird. If you are a little claustrophobic, this can make you feel a little panicky. Not good when you are scuba diving.

Bottom line, it is okay that it will be a little harder at first; don't get disappointed or frustrated. Just take your time and it will get easier. Once you get good at diving in England, diving in warm water will be a LOT easier.

Back
Top Bottom