Greetings from Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

904Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I'm excited to say that I have successfully earned my open water certification this weekend!

I consider myself blessed to have grown up in Florida with a lifelong love of being in the water, so much so that these training dives nearly felt like second nature, save for the buoyancy control. That part might take a little while to master lol.

I'm extremely excited about having taken the first step of this journey, and I'm looking forward to progressing with further certifications and interacting with the community!

Anyone got any recommended spots in Florida that are beginner friendly in regards to equipment (or lack thereof), experience, and not having any diving friends?

Devil's Den and Blue Grotto are about 100 miles from Jacksonville. I visited them with my then 12 year old son a few years ago and we really enjoyed them. You should call them before showing up without a buddy to see if they can help. I know they rent equipment. Also, when my reg acted up at Devil's Den they loaned me one of their rentals for free -- nice folks. Folks at Blue Grotto seemed nice too. I am not local to Florida so double check with local divers but my understanding is that the good ocean diving is further South (starting around West Palm Beach (WPB) and going South from there). I really enjoyed the Blue Heron Bridge near WPB as a Shore Dive. There are also a number of boat options there for drift diving that you might consider.

Devil's Den and Blue Grotto are about 100 miles from Jacksonville. I visited them with my then 12 year old son a few years ago and we really enjoyed them. You should call them before showing up without a buddy to see if they can help. I know they rent equipment. Also, when my reg acted up at Devil's Den they loaned me one of their rentals for free -- nice folks. Folks at Blue Grotto seemed nice too. I am not local to Florida so double check with local divers but my understanding is that the good ocean diving is further South (starting around West Palm Beach (WPB) and going South from there). I really enjoyed the Blue Heron Bridge near WPB as a Shore Dive. There are also a number of boat options there for drift diving that you might consider.
I appreciate your input here! It's actually funny, I did 2 of my training dives in Devils Den, and my local shop does their Advanced Open Water course at Blue Grotto, so I will definitely be making my way there!

Key Largo has wonderful easy reef diving.....Recommend you get Nitrox and your advanced class....Key Largo has wonderful wrecks too but again recommend Nitrox and Advanced

Hi 904, anywhere in our great state except Mayport. :) Out of all my dives here, diving during Goliath Grouper season down in Jupiter has been the most enjoyable experience for me so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom