Greetings from Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

New all around, to the forums and scuba diving. 2 years ago for my birthday my wife surprised with a shark dive at the Florida Aquarium, and have been hooked ever since! Just past my swim test today, next step is the confined swim then open water, really excited!

Is there a thread/advice on what to expect during the two day confined swim and the 2 day open water swim?

EDIT: Certification being done with PADI

Welcome. My daughter and I did our OW this past summer but it was through SSI so although similar, a little different in the approach. About the only thing that was slow going for us was my daughter clearing her ears on her initial descent to deeper waters (>10'). She had challenges. I did slightly but was able to clear. She was up and down in the water column trying to clear. All this boiled down to 1) it was new to us (to clear our ears) 2) the water was cold (can make it more difficult to clear ears) and 3) we didn't clear early enough. The latter being the biggest one. We didn't know any better so we cleared when we "felt" that we were needing to clear our ears. Someone here or SB (or actually a number of folks) suggested - clear EARLY and clear OFTEN. Even on the boat ride out, clear your ears... just clear them often but clear them early (before you feel you need to). Ever since then, our dives have had no issues with clearing.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Welcome. You're in a good state for diving! Depending on what part of Florida you're in, there may well be local diving to be had, and if you're willing to drive a few hours, the opportunities really open up.

Richard.

Welcome. My daughter and I did our OW this past summer but it was through SSI so although similar, a little different in the approach. About the only thing that was slow going for us was my daughter clearing her ears on her initial descent to deeper waters (>10'). She had challenges. I did slightly but was able to clear. She was up and down in the water column trying to clear. All this boiled down to 1) it was new to us (to clear our ears) 2) the water was cold (can make it more difficult to clear ears) and 3) we didn't clear early enough. The latter being the biggest one. We didn't know any better so we cleared when we "felt" that we were needing to clear our ears. Someone here or SB (or actually a number of folks) suggested - clear EARLY and clear OFTEN. Even on the boat ride out, clear your ears... just clear them often but clear them early (before you feel you need to). Ever since then, our dives have had no issues with clearing.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Great to hear! Thanks for your feedback.

Welcome! I'm in Vero Beach Scuba Club. we have divers all over the state. Check in with us on Facebook!

Awesome, never even thought about that, will do that now. Thanks.

Hello from Cocoa Beach, diving out here is moderate with a few shipwrecks which are pretty interesting. But drrich2 has a good point because the real amazing dive sites are further down south Florida.

Good luck,
Have fun out there.

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor....good luck on your classes and enjoy the inner-space of open water..

Welcome to SB Supreme Opinion. :)A great place to be during surface intervals.:)

Back
Top Bottom