Greetings from an old timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got certified in 1977 by a Navy instructor. I continued my diving education through out the years and went from OW, AOW, RD, Nitrox, DM and finally Assistant Instructor. I also did Ice, DPV, drysuit, wreck, cavern and cave diving. My diving career ended on January 18, 2007 when I had a heart attack (not while I was diving). I have not dove since. I am thankful that I got to do a lot throughout those years. It's nice to come back to this forum and read up on all the advancements. My wife likes to snorkel so it looks like I will at least continue to do that.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You've come to a great forum where you can spend quality time during your surface intervals.

Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind my asking, why are you good to go snorkeling but not diving? Perhaps pressure at depth? I know snorkeling can be at least as physical as scuba at times.

I haven't looked into diving anymore after heart damage and a stent placed. I was told years ago that I would be limited to 33' and of course not to over exert myself. The snorkeling I mentioned would be extremely low key. I am familiar with DPV's (to reduce exertion levels)and being 59 I am not sure I am physical enough any more. I do work out with light weights and I am able to walk my dogs a couple of miles each day. Is DAN divers alert network even in business still?

I would be limited to 33' and of course not to over exert myself.
There is a lot to see in the top 33'. Though the above-water part of the dive is often the most strenuous, particularly in cold water regions. Small tanks are fairly nice though. But so is snorkeling with the wife, much easier post-dive cleanup as well. Welcome.

If you've got an accomodating boat and crew, sidemount with small tanks can reduce the topside weight you have to carry. Assuming the crew hands them down/up. Like AL40s or even AL30s. LP50s are more efficient in the gas they hold for their weight and the lead you need, but they are also heavier to move about on land.

There is a lot to see in the top 33'. Though the above-water part of the dive is often the most strenuous, particularly in cold water regions. Small tanks are fairly nice though. But so is snorkeling with the wife, much easier post-dive cleanup as well. Welcome.

If you've got an accomodating boat and crew, sidemount with small tanks can reduce the topside weight you have to carry. Assuming the crew hands them down/up. Like AL40s or even AL30s.
Thanks! I sent them an in depth question about diving post heart attack!

I haven't looked into diving anymore after heart damage and a stent placed. I was told years ago that I would be limited to 33' and of course not to over exert myself. The snorkeling I mentioned would be extremely low key. I am familiar with DPV's (to reduce exertion levels)and being 59 I am not sure I am physical enough any more. I do work out with light weights and I am able to walk my dogs a couple of miles each day. Is DAN divers alert network even in business still?

If you've got an accomodating boat and crew, sidemount with small tanks can reduce the topside weight you have to carry. Assuming the crew hands them down/up. Like AL40s or even AL30s.

MichaelMc nailed it: there certainly can be a lot to see in the top 33'. Some decent diving/snorkeling can be found in waters that aren't even 33' deep. Some of the lakes/ponds/rivers and even salt water areas in my area would need to be dredged to reach 33'. :)

Back
Top Bottom