Greenforce questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I intend to buy a canister light to replace my current broken Princeton Tec, and my final decision is Greenforce. The price seems fine, and it looks great. I like the fact that there are no moving parts (you just screw it to turn on/off).

Please help me with a few questions:

1. I am not decided yet between the Flexi II and Flexi FunStar canisters. Both are enough for my needs (occasional night dives, and wreck dives). It seems to me that the FunStar with 8 AA batteries and ~2h burn time would be enough, and it is easy to buy 16 rechargeable batteries, or even non-rechargeable ones everywhere in the world. On the other side, the Flexi II requires care from my side, with recharging schedules and everything, and I guess it will die anyway in 1-2 years of usage, specially because I don't use it frequently. So.. any worries about the FunStar?

2. On the light head I am pretty much convinced for the Tristar P4. It provides more light than my previous torch, and I was happy with it. Any good enough reason to consider the HID 50 instead?

3. How do you mount the canister (either Flexi II or Funstar) on the hog harness? It seems to lack any holes/clips for that.

4. This being my first canister light, what is the "right" umbilical length? Is the standard 1m enough for having the canister on the hog harness' right hip? It seems to me that a longer one might be needed, but I never tried to use one in water.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but since no-one else has replied yet, here are my thoughts FWIW:

3. Rubber bands cut from an appropriately-sized inner tube (eg bicycle), with hose clamps over the top and 'tacos' or split rings secured underneath, with cave line attachments to the holes on the lower right edge of your BP

I use a DR LED500 umbilical torch currently, it came with a pouch for the battery pack so I just have that mounted on the right side of my Hog harness. 1m cord works fine with a Goodman handle on my left hand

I've got a FII and Tristar (probably not the P4) and I'm happy with it so far. Deciding between the HID and LED light head kind of depends. If the water you dive is murky (especially on the wrecks) then I would suggest going with the HID even though I don't personally have any experience with them. HID's almost always have more penetration than compairable LED's. If the water is just dark then LED's will be just fine.

With the battery, going with the AA's is probably the best bet for amount of use it will get.

I dive a Zeagle BCD and just put th battery pack in a pocket so I'm afraid I can't help with mounting to harness or backplate.

The standard umbilical should be long enough unless you get really crazy with how you route it from the battery to your hand.

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom