Greenforce Heptastar XPGH output compared to HID 220 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcelT

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have been the happy owner of a Greenforce HID 220 with a Flexi III battery pack. Great light for the murky Dutch waters.

Now that my wife's Mares torch is almost dead (it refuses to produce anything over birthday cake candle power..), I want to buy a Greenforce light head for her to use with a Flexi II battery pack we already own.

Does anyone have any experiences with the Heptastar XPGH led head compared to the HID 220? I would like to know how the light beam compares to the beam of the HID...

Happy diving,
Marcel

Argh. Never mind, I just remembered I own the HID 150F and not the HID 220 !
:classic:

It used to be top of the line some 5 years ago, but now the 220 is Greenforce's light cannon... Have to keep up with their developments a bit more. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the HID 150F is rated max. 1700 Lumen and I have the focus set to 9 degrees, so I guess the Heptastar with 1960 Lumen at 10 degrees will probably have a similar light beam.

Because I was in a funny mood, I just ordered the Heptastar XPG H head. Will let you guys know how it compares to the HID 150F when it arrives...

Happy diving,
Marcel

How did you get on with the new head. I was going to order this setup but I opted for the LightMonkey 21w9ah as it had a focasble beam. I tried the XPGH but I found the beam to tight. I also dive Dutch waters.

How did you get on with the new head. I was going to order this setup but I opted for the LightMonkey 21w9ah as it had a focasble beam. I tried the XPGH but I found the beam to tight. I also dive Dutch waters.

The head is still in backorder, I sm expecting to receive it in 2-3 weeks....

Will let you know as soon as I have used it!

The head is still in backorder, I sm expecting to receive it in 2-3 weeks....

Will let you know as soon as I have used it!

Received the head today... First impression: wow that thing is small!

I aimed my HID150 and the XPHG at the wall. Both are bright, but the HID beam seems to be tighter. The HID also appeared slightly whiter and brighter but that may be misleading.

Will try them both in open water next week!

Ok, my wife and I tried the GreenForce HID 150F and XPHG side by side last Sunday... The water was murky with 1-3m visibility.

The XPHG head is a bit brighter (or at least the same strength) as the HID150. I definitely am impressed.

The HID has a blue-ish spot in the center, where the XPHG is all white.

Given the option I would probably buy the XPHG instead of the HID150:
- needs a smaller battery pack
- can be mounted on a Flexi2 directly
- smaller, lightweight
- same output, but no blue spot
- more reliable (LED)

Hope this helps anyone...

Happy Diving
Marcel

I have been very happy with my Greenforce Heptastar after 7 months use. I earlier had the HID150F too, so the upgrade was easy. The Heptastar gives an even light and is a good compromise between a light sabre and a general lighting device. I shoot video both in the open sea (with murky waters) and in caves and mines. Here is a sample shot with the Heptastar: Grotta del Fico - Sardinia on Vimeo

Back
Top Bottom